With so many Life Stories, it's possible that mistakes or confusion may slip in. Original records may contain conflicting information, or users might have connected evidence to the wrong Life Story. Errors may also be made by users adding facts incorrectly, or new evidence might be found.
You can delete any facts or evidence that you have added yourself, by following these instructions.
How to improve a fact
- First investigate the fact in the Known Facts area. Click 'View Source' to see which source of evidence was used to add the fact.
- Do you have a better source of evidence? If so, connect it as an official record, uploaded image, or external reference.
- Click 'Add Facts from this Evidence'.
- Choose the fact and click 'Improve’ to edit the fields and add the correct information.
- Select ‘Continue’ and then ‘Save these Facts’ to save your work.
How to correct an image caption
If it is an image that you have added but there is a mistake in the caption, simply delete the image and upload it again with the correct information. Click on the Evidence tab on a Life Story page, and click Erase Evidence.
If the image has been added by another user, you cannot delete or change it, but you can contact them. If their member-to-member mail is not active or you do not receive a response, please report it to us instead by following the steps below.
How to report an error or abuse
We encourage Lives of the First World War members to contact each other through member-to-member mail to resolve issues. However, if you and another user cannot agree on a fact, or if someone has added offensive or inappropriate material to a Life Story, you can report the problem to us.
- Click the cog icon and select ‘Report Abuse’.
- Select a reason why you are reporting the fact to us.
- Tell us more about the problem in the box provided.
- Select ‘Submit Report’.
- We will investigate and respond to you as soon as we can, although we cannot promise to remove content. We may ask you to tell us more about the problem via email, so that we can look into a solution as helpfully as possible.