Feedback and discussion

1. I have someone who is in twice. he changed regiment. Is it possible to merge or cross reference these

I have someone who is in twice. he changed regiment. Is it possible to merge or cross reference these

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Reporting errors

I am loading the men fro the local war memorial but have discovered that there are errors in some names - Jonathon instead of John and Rwversdale instead of Riversdale. How should errors like these be reported?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. No facility for linking to existing websites that already have the stories & photographs

Should be facility to link with exisiting websites that already have documented stories and photographs

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Wont let me add facts!

I have added an external source but then when I go to 'Add and Transfer Facts from the Source' the only thing I can do is All Names! I want to add date of birth, parents, location but whenever I click on the item NOTHING! Anyone know why?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. allow jumping to later pages, rather than having to trawl through thousands

Allow jumping to later pages within having to trawl through thousands
    for common names

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Developing the Communities section

Are there plans to make it possible for unregistered users to browse by Community in future, making it more publicly visible and searchable? Those remembered here experienced the war as part of a community, and this will help put their lives in context rather than as one of many isolated records. Also there’s an educational value in users of this site being able to search by community, be that a village, occupation, event or battalion etc. Finally, this would help to emphasise the scale of things and the many different ways in which people experienced the war. Thanks.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Person Thumbnails?

Is there a way to change the default thumbnail that appears on each person's page? I've just uploaded a photo of an ancestor and expected this to replace the grey silhouette at the top of his page, but it hasn't

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Allow unsourced information e.g. from family

My great-uncle is on this site and I have masses of information, photos and artefacts, none of which can be sourced to a website or URL. There seems to be no means of placing this information at the disposal of others.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Adding Facts to a Life Story, the 60 sec video runs to fast for my old eyes!

The video is too fast. Not enough time to read all the helpful hints.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Communities visibility

How soon before we can have an index of communities? If I wanted, say, to create a community for people from one specific area, how would I know that others hadn't already got one built?

34 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    11 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. You are missing some people, and for the life of me, I can't find a method to ADD to the records. Make the addition facility clearer.

Make the "Add a person" facility clearer. For the life of me, I can't find it, and I have a person and records to add. i.e. Francis Albert Williams DCM. Number 4240 of the Royal Garrison Artillery.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Automatic searching the newly live Lives of First World War site

Family Tree Analzyer ( http://ftanalyzer.codeplex.com ) is a program that analyses your tree. A new feature allows you to view all the males of First World War fighting age in your tree. Simply shift double click to then automatically search newly live Lives of First World War site.

It really is very simple. From the website above click once to install and run the program. Then simply open a GEDCOM file of your tree and click on the War Dead report. Shift clicking on a any candidate male in the report will then automatically search Lives of the First World…

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. A simple 'report a problem feature' would be useful.

Feedback may cover this but it is not obvious. A quick 'button' to report a software issue e.g. 'save' function is freezing would be useful.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Have records from the Royal Flying Corps been entered yet?

My grandfather was in the RFC. I have his service number and have searched by this and by his name and I cannot find him although I can find his medal card on the National Archives site.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Link existing Findmypast subscriptions to Friends subscriptions

Since the additional datasets come from Findmypast, why charge people with Findmypast subscriptions to see them again through this site ? If you have a Findmypast login, you should be able to see the datasets here.

65 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    10 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi all and thanks for your feedback.

Firstly, anyone with a 12 month Findmypast membership also receives 12 months access to Lives of the First World War; if you have yearly membership to Findmypast you should already have received an email about this (if not, you can contact their customer service team).

Secondly, even if you don’t have yearly membership to Findmypast, you can use your access to add information under ‘add an external reference’ – just paste the full URL from Findmypast for the record you’ve consulted (whether a census return, birth record, service record etc) and then you’ll be able to add facts from there.

17. Soldiers PERSONAL DIARY Entries

Need an option to enter transcription of the soldiers diary notes he made at the time on a daily basis into his Military Service Section and not have to put it in as Stories. The space of 200 characters in the Military event DESCRIPTON is too short. The space in STORIES is 2000 characters giving prominence to STORIES over EVENTS With supported evidence, which is far more important in my opinion.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. when no result is achieved from a search for an individual (eg my Australian grandfather)

Add a comment to the "zero" result indicating that not all names are yet in the searchable database. I know quite a lot about his service so "zero" is quite confronting.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Need to facilitate correction of mistakes in the spelling of names of soldiers entered from the Medal Card Index.

Where a spelling mistake has been made when a name has been entered from the medal Card Index, this needs to be easily corrected. Is there a system?

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Allow unlimited text length for Life Stories

I have been writing an account of the life and experiences of my ancestor. This is in full 190 pages long, and my abridged version is 19 pages long. When I submitted this as a life story I was told that only a maximum of 2000 characters are allowed. Will there be any opportunity on this site to record such extended accounts that would enrich readers' understanding and pay the most fitting tribute to our ancestors? Furthermore, will there be the opportunity to incorporate both text and images in combination in (say) a PDF file version?

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Feedback and discussion

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base