Feedback and discussion

1. Name

You should be able to add the full name for the initial given in a person's name. Some of the WWI records only record the first name, initial and surname. The only way to add the full name for an initial is to add this into the "Served under Name". But this does not update the name which appears in the index. EG. The full of Henry C Barron is Henry Charles Barron.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Photos inconsistent

I have uploaded a photo for a man from my village (Bertram William Gray). When I view the Front page I can see his photo but when I click on his story the page displayed does not have his photo on it.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Link into Commonwealth war graves site and Ancestry Military records

I presume these will be included or added in time to enhance what the public might already have input

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Ranks as shown

When updating with early war information the rank entered is junior to the one shown on the medal card. The system updates to show the junior rank. It would be better to leave the more senior rank.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Village Memories

Cluster a collection of life stories around the village from which they were enlisted. Use the names on the village memorial as the starting point. But invite the public to add the life stories of survivors stories as well. This will give depth to the story...what was it like to return.....we can start to understand from first hand accounts, the effect of the war on our individual small communities.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Trench Pals

Publish the life stories of soldiers who fought in the same trench. Including the survivors. What did they do after the war. What was its effect. Show how the war brought together for the first time for many, men from different walks of life....the field, the office.....tradesmen.....the pauper....the big house...bound in a common cause where they looked out for one another in a way that they would not have done in their civilian life. Friendships forged in war that lasted a lifetime.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Profile Image Upload

Allow users to upload an image onto the profile picture or front page for each serviceman's war record/life story.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. 32 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Editing personal knowledge after it has been entered

Where an item is added as 'personal knowledge' would it be possible for the person who added it to edit it? I added something and then decided to add more from the same source, but don't seem to be able to do so.

27 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Why don't service numbers match?

I am entering my grandfather's details - William Hill 3364 - but the record comes up as 241036. Maybe his number changed but this is the number on his medals. If there is an explanation for the differing number maybe a flag could say so.
    Also struggling to add death details but this is my first look on.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Filling in all the boxes before something will upload... text size important when viewing page!

On my laptop when the box pops up to fill in the details it can't be scrolled down (I'm using IE) although it can on my iPod. Some folk, depending on their settings will not be able to see the boxes further down the page, that need to be filled in, unless they make the size of the text smaller. Maybe this is something that you'll need to flag up to users... I didn't realise for ages and kept going over the same thing and wondering why it didn't happen when I tried to upload my images.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Option to add narrative stories

There should be the ability to add narrative - either as a transcript of interviews with the person themselves, or as text that someone has compiled using the facts already applied. That way there will actually be a story for people to read and engage with.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Increase no of stories visible as " Discover Life Stories that are already being pieced together."

Clicking on life stories asnd going the page titled "Discover Life Stories that are already being pieced together." I only see six stories - and mainly the same ones - it would be nice to be able to see more than six if only to be able to browse through the work of others and see what information is being added and from what sources.

27 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. 3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Medal card regiment information entered incorrectly

https://beta.livesofthefirstworldwar.org/lifestory/4933953 This record is for Private William Young VC of the East Lancashire Regiment, regiment number 5938. The medal index card photograph clearly shows East Lancs Regiment not the East Kent Regiment. Can this error be corrected on the source record.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Contact other users

Will it be possible to contact other users, e.g. if someone else adds information to one of my relatives' records (I'm thinking similar to how you can connect with family tree owners on Ancestry)

75 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  13 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Increase search options

It would be good to have a wider variety of search options, e.g. by place of birth or residence, rank, date of death, cemetery/memorial, and community (once up and running)

51 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. I like the fact that Source citations are front and centre

Usually source citations are buried away in a footer e.g. on a narrative report produced by genealogy database package or a WikiTree page.

I like the fact that they have been brought to the fore on this site as it helps to stress the importance of citing your sources!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Add additional (generic) events to record

My main interest is the men named on the roll of honour for the Surrey Association of Church Bell Ringers. From the ringing newspapers I can find quite detailed accounts of when and where these men were ringing. This can actually be quite revealing of matters of military service - eg footnotes saying that a piece of ringing was a farwell to Fred Bloggs prior to his joining up the following day, or rung while home on leave (often short leaves during training which don't show up even the service record actually survives). It also reveals the personal connections between…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Incorrect surname on medal card

The surname on my grandfather's medal card is wrongly spelled. Am I right to add photos and information for him under that name (the regimental number is correct)? Can the surname be corrected (if so how)? Or should I request the setting up of a brand new record with the correct name?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Feedback and discussion

Feedback and Knowledge Base