This Forum is now closed to new posts. Thank you for taking part in the discussion.

1891 census not provided?

I have a soldier with a fairly distinctive name, Gad Leather, born 1876 in Barnsley. Now I know his father is Edward Leather born 1850 Barnsley, and that in 1881 and 1891 the family were living in Worsborough Common, Barnsley. But I can find neither man in those census returns on here ... or am I just missing the obvious? Are earlier returns not provided?

1 vote
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Linda Hutton shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

12 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • AdminProject Team (Admin, Lives of the First World War) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That's very strange. I've just run a search with no 'name' search terms at all, ticked the 'census' box, specified census year of 1881, and got over 29 million results. I tried a surname of Collins and got almost 43,000 results. Is the same problem still happening for you (both) this morning?

• Heather Collins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The issue seems to be that no search results come up at all for 1881 or 1891 censuses. I looked for one of my Collins relatives (nice common name!) and I get multiple hits from 1901 and 1911 but nothing from 1881 or 1891, it's as though they are not being returned in the search at all.

• AdminProject Team (Admin, Lives of the First World War) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Linda - ooh, interesting! I assume you've already found them in the census in other locations, and this isn't a case of them being mysteriously missing from the census overall? I also assume that you've tried all the usual 'name variation' suggestions, like spelling the names differently and so on and so forth?

Just so I can pass on that we've checked all possibilities, it would be great if you could confirm that you've tried all that and you still definitely can't find them and you've found them in another set of census records (ie - if they're not where they should be, that may be a problem we can solve; if they don't appear in any census, that's probably not something we can sort out for you!)

Hopefully, Linda you've effectively already reported it with this thread! I agree the blue question mark option gives you a totally bone response "have you tried posting in the support forum?" was the one I got!

• Linda Hutton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, Heather is right, I have my man ... sorry, probably should have been clearer in my original query! So, how do we report this bug then? Clicking the blue question mark is just likely to bring back a "Try another browser" suggestion in my experience. Whereas queries spotted and responded to on here seem to get a different calibre of reply.

I just looked for one of mine who has a really common surname and got no hits at all for 1891 or 1881 so it may be a bug that they are not showing up in official record searches?

Feedback and Knowledge Base