This Forum is now closed to new posts. Thank you for taking part in the discussion.

Service numbers

How long are the service numbers? I ask because my great uncle, William Williams who was a private in the Royal Welsh Fusiliers has a medal index card with the number 14842. I have a digitized copy of it. However I can't find him on this site. But I have found a William Williams with the number 1484. I would like to know if this is MY William! I appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.

1 vote
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
lorettahouben shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Judith Parry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Did you get your digitised copy from the National Archives site? They have a medal card for William Williams with the service number 1484 in their records http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=D5911476 I suspect that if you paid the £3.30 to get it from here, the record you get will be for service record 14842. The only way to know for certain, though, is to buy it. Ancestry definitely has the record for 14842, which may also be where you found it. "Lives" has taken the medal cards from the National Archives, and some of them are not right - I have come across this before. Having had a good root around the Ancestry website and also the National Archives, I would be very surprised if this wasn't your William. There is no evidence anywhere to suggest that any William Williams existed with the service number 1484. I agree totally with Heather and the last comment. Premium access doesn't give access to the medal cards, though, as it is just the transcriptions that have been brought over from the National Archives. You can't see the actual card on this site. Hope this makes sense!

• Eddie Morgan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Loretta

Can't access any further information than the transcription on lives which gives #1484 for William Williams.

Ancestry only has #1484 Harry Williams in Royal Welsh Fusiliers, killed in action in the Balkans on 19/8/15.

However FMP has a transcription from "Soldiers died in the Great War" which shows #14842 Private William Williams of 11th Battalion Royal Welsh Fusiliers, died of wounds in Salonika on 22/2/17. This matches the Medal Card on Ancestry for #14842 which records the same death date. I presume your digitized copy is this card.

I'm pretty sure that Heather is right about the mistranscription.

I would be tempted to treat him as yours.

I would be happy to add the evidence from the two references I have mentioned and correct the number if you would like me to do so.

• Heather Collins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The length of the number varies as each Regiment has at some point started at 1! However the Regimental number 1484 in the Welsh Fusiliers seems to have already been issued to Pte Harry Williams, so I would say you are correct and your man's number has been mis-transcribed with a digit missing. Hopefully someone who has premium access and can view the card itself will come along and confirm that for you.

Feedback and Knowledge Base