This Forum is now closed to new posts. Thank you for taking part in the discussion.

Commonwealth war graves commission

When CWGC is added as a contextural seed will fields such as date of death, theatre of war, memorial/cemetery, grave information, etc. be automatically populated?
If so, I would not like to use up time by manually feeding in all this data now.

43 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
John Burt shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Don Carr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

would be nice! i tired to add details to relatives record to no avail . . . keep getting to watch crappy 60-second video.

• Colin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Furthering my note, what happens when two sources disagree? Already I've seen one post about a regimental diary disagreeing with the CWGC record as to the date of death. The consensus there was that the RD trumps the CWGC - but that would be overridden if the CWGC data was auto-populated. So no vote for this idea!

• Colin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't like the idea of anything being overwritten. Even the medal cards source does not populate which medals were issued - I've just added that info for my man from that source.

• Matt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are looking into trying to do this. It would be the right thing to do but as you can imagine the list of "right things to do" is very long right now!

If/when we did some automatic fact population I think there would be a reasonable chance that we would overwrite anything entered in a target field. So whether you want to do any of the work is up to you right now. If we don't get time to auto-populate from that source, it will be a valuable contribution, but there's a chance it might be wasted work, if we do find time. Sorry I can't be less vague on this.

Feedback and Knowledge Base