This Forum is now closed to new posts. Thank you for taking part in the discussion.

Additional fields for names people were known by

I have several people who were known by several names in their lives. The only way to add another name is to add another surname or to add a name they served under. In the case I am particularly thinking of a man who lived most of his life as Charles Frederick, but on his birth certificate and all three censuses he is shown as Carl. Could we have an "also known as" field which could be searchable? I've tried adding the names in brackets, but the brackets themselves trigger a message saying I can only use letters.

1 vote
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Anni Berman shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anni Berman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

His birth certificate says Carl, and he's Carl on the 1891, 1901 and 1911 censuses, but he served as Charles Frederick and he used that name as well sometimes, so effectively the name he served as was Charles Frederick, but that wasn't the name he used most.

• Matt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would you mind letting me see which Life Story you are currently improving?

We do have a the "Served as First name(s)" which was conceived as a way of tackling this issue. Did you try this already? If it was not suitable, could you please let us know why?

Thanks!

Feedback and Knowledge Base