This Forum is now closed to new posts. Thank you for taking part in the discussion.

Birth Certificates from the GRO

I have purchased birth certificates from the GRO as part of my research, how best to handle this information on the site? Can I upload scans of the documents, or if not how best to share the data that they contain? Information such as profession can only be found on records such as these. Some guidance appreciated.

2 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
dougapd shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Jonathan Shepherd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you for this idea. Please may I enquire also about covering the cost of certificates - for example the cost of a copy of a death certificate from the GRO Southport is £9 - 99p. It would become quite expensive to order several certificates if necessary - for example for the purpose of Voluntary Work.

• Alexander Bisset commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Does this apply to Scottish records also ie: those images obtained from ScotlandsPeople.gov.uk?

Perhaps it would be useful to have a guidance page for certificate images in the FAQ. This could detail what major sites/sources you were already aware of with a catch all, "please check with the original provider for any copyright restrictions before uploading an image" (or whatever wording the lawyers are happy with).

• dougapd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thats great news, and crediting the sources is good practice. Will upload some later. I'll revisit the Billy Tickle video as well.

• Matt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We believe that in this case, you are allowed to upload these. We featured one of these in the video for Billy Tickle and in that case it was OK to display it. To be fully transparent, it would be proper to credit the GRO as the source

Feedback and Knowledge Base