This Forum is now closed to new posts. Thank you for taking part in the discussion.

Remove URL For External Resources

Adding an external resource currently requires a URL so only online data can be added. This means documents like medal rolls or service records cannot be referred to.
Remove the requirement for a URL and we can start to add more information.

4 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
GlenP shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • GlenP commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is VERY good! Well done to the team for this. I have just added a newspaper obituary almost successfully - I could add father's name, school, full name etc but hit the 200 character limit when trying to add the text itself.

I also notice it allows the use of numerals in the source title so two thumbs up from me. And it answers Alexander Bisset's valid thoughts below too.

• Matt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I believe this feature close to being complete. Will be great to have your feedback in due course

• Alexander Bisset commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd rather see separate categories. So when you add data you get the option to add online data that requires a URL as proof, or paper records which requires either a scanned image or several fields giving the precise source of the records.

The project is attempting to enforce a standard of proof that is higher than many family historians will be used to. Simply doing away with the link isn't a good idea, replacing it with specific references that enforce the standard of proof expected is a better idea.

So I agree the URL requirement is very restrictive but I would suggest that simply removing it as required is probably not the best way forward.

• David Underdown commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

medal rolls have a TNA catalogue reference, and a URL in Discovery. Would ideally be considered an official resource though, as the catalogue reference can be derived from information on the MIC, or obviously in the case of service records, the names will normally be available

Feedback and Knowledge Base