This Forum is now closed to new posts. Thank you for taking part in the discussion.

Subscribing to a particular man

The ability to 'subscribe' to a particular individual would be handy so that notifications could be set up to notify a user of any additional details which have been added to the person.

41 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
ss002d6252 shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Alathea Anderssohn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think that the best way to flag changes would be to have a box on the user's dashboard, so that you could see immediately on logging into the site whether anything had been edited - the same function could be used to alert you to new users "remembering" the people that you are remembering. This should be something which is immediately obvious, like the "new messages" and "hints" icons on ancestry. It shouldn't be tucked away at the end of a page which you can only see if you scroll right down to the bottom... Personally I wouldn't opt for email notification as the only method, as I am quite likely to miss an email if I am without internet access for a couple of days.

• Roderick Poustie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have since found that updates can be viewed though something on the main person page would, I suggest, be preferable. Current method isn't too obvious.

• Roderick Poustie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a regular user of Ancestry it doesn't feel quite right that anyone can update/change records without "permission". I have just tested my ability to update Ralph Vaughan Williams and found that I could do so (but didn't!). Perhaps there should be a way of taking editorial "ownership" of an individual's page. Or at the least perhaps showing date of last update and by whom. A viewable change record would give confidence to those who will spend a lot of time adding their data that it hasn't been changed without their knowing about it. A Just a thought.

• Anni Berman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Personally, I'd prefer an e-mail alert if anyone made changes to any of the people I'm remembering. And yes, I think we should be able to unsubscribe.

• Alexander Bisset commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A twitter feed would be interesting, although whether that is achievable with the current twitter API or not is a intersting question. If it requires setting up accounts for all 8 million life stories it is clearly not viable, if the API can direct feeds without having to have individual accounts that would be useful.

RSS is an alternative although my experience is that very few non technical individuals actually know what RSS is or use it.

Another possible modern approach would be a Facebook plugin, liking a life story page could then give that page permissions to post updates to the users facebook page.

An email would of course be one of the simplest ways to implement this, a digest of changes, perhaps on a user configurable period would be best. ie: on user profile user selects they want to know about changes daily, once a week or once a month, etc. I would avoid the option of a change more frequently than once a day, as that is unnecessary stress on your servers. A nightly batch approach is probably more server friendly.

An email per update is definitely too much, as often someone will visit a page and add several facts at one sitting.

Yes you should be able to unsubscribe. A list of who you are subscribed to would be useful. Subscribing to a community would also be useful as an alternative option to subscribing to each life story individually.

• ss002d6252 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would personally suggest that a daily/weekly digest may be more appropriate, especially if a person has more than one man subscribed to.

A section of the page summarising details of the last update made would also be handy as would perhaps an addition to the 'Add to Life Story' box which shows the date the particular record was added,

• Matt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, this type of functionality is very much on the list. Can I ask (from you, or anyone who has an opinion) what's the best way to go about this?
    - Is an email the best way to go about this?
    - Or are there other ways like having an RSS feed per Life Story?
    - Or a page summarising the last update
    - Is an email per update too much?
    - If so, should the email be instantly delivered
    - Or is a "daily digest" better?
    - Should you be able to unsubscribe
    - Any other considerations that come to mind?

Thanks in advance for help with this!

Feedback and Knowledge Base