This Forum is now closed to new posts. Thank you for taking part in the discussion.

Allow numerals in "Name of source item"

I tried to add a reference to a particular edition of a journal to the Ralph Vaughan Williams article, but numeric characters are not allowed, which meant I could give the date.

6 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
David Underdown shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

10 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Alexander Bisset commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes I've tried and it appears fixed although this idea hasn't been marked as started, planned or completed.

• Anni Berman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When filling in each source for the first time, it would be helpful to make it clear what is wanted. For example - date and location.... of what? the source or the event? Sometimes entering this information gets quite repetitive and it isn't always obvious what should go in each field - for example, 1881 census - should it say "1881 census on ancestry.com" or "1881 census on Find My Past", or just "1881 census" with the source where the record is held shown elsewhere.

• Anni Berman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Glad to hear this is planned... tying "Eighteen Eighty One census" felt pretty silly! Will we be able to amend the source titles once numerals are allowed?

Seriously GlenP do you see your role on this forum to comment negatively on peoples suggestions? Its a clear oversight as there is no obvious reason why numerals would be prevented. Why would you feel it necessary to jump in and suggest otherwise to perfectly valid suggestions?

If you don't like a suggestion say so, however it defeats the purpose of an ideas forum to simply suggest workarounds. The whole point is to eliminate workarounds and improve the site.

• GlenP commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Te actual name in most cases doesn't need a numeral. In your case I would name it William Morrison Birth Registration and include the actual reference in the Description and location. The same with his service record - Just say Service Record for William Morrison then descibe it in more detail in the description.

I am entering medal roll information and I use:

Medal Rolls at National Archives - for the Name and the National Archives reference goes into the description.

This is really important to fix. I wanted to enter the title of a document as its official title eg:

MORRISON,WILLIAM (Statutory Births 230/00 0005)

This gives the precise reference information for someone to check my references yet this was not allowed.

I also wanted to add a document that was titled:

Service record in 10th Battalion Scottish Rifles

again this is not allowed. This is a very serious bug and in all likelihood easily fixed.

• ss002d6252 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd noticed that as well - it's a relatively important bug to be fixed if reference details are to be added.

Feedback and Knowledge Base