This Forum is now closed to new posts. Thank you for taking part in the discussion.

Group Life Stories together in Communities

Let members group together the Life Stories of individuals who shared an experience in some way – maybe they all worked in the same factory, or played on the same football team, or were from the same village.

28 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

9 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can I just point out that it is alright if you know who the individuals were, but if you have a suitable Community but don't know exactly who was in it it is very difficult to create as a Community Manager. Eg a hospital may have had lots of patients and staff but finding out who was where is very difficult. However descendants etc may know where there relations were in hospital and may even have photos relating to this. In particular I personally am interested in the large country houses that were turned in the convalescent hospitals. Would be great to be able to see who was where ...and even better what the houses looked like if anyone did have any photos. By focussing on creating communities from what we know I feel we are missing out on creating communities from what many may potentially know about. Need a bit of crowdsourcing.

• Anni Berman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was thinking of some kind of a link from each person's individual page to show that they are part of a community group, or more than one link if they have been added to more than one community. Clicking on that link would then lead you to a group page where you could have, for example, photos of or information about the football team they were a part of, or the war memorial they are named on etc.

From there I'd like to see a list of all the people in that group in such a way that you could then click into the individual pages of all the other people in the group. This would be a wonderful resource for schools, to research their former pupils, for example. Have you thought of offering schools a reasonably priced subscription? It would be fabulous for teaching primary source history.

I think we ought to be able to search by community, too, which would need some kind of indexing. So, for example, if I set up a page for the men on the Leverstock Green war memorial in Hemel Hempstead which I have already researched for a web page on another site, and would like to link to, I would hope that people could search for Leverstock Green or for a Hemel Hempstead and they would find it, even if they didn't previously know the page was there. Maybe they could search geographically, too - say by county.... Does that answer your question? Don't know anything about the coding that would go on behind the scenes - just what I'd like to see from the end user's point of view.

Thanks. Anni

• Matt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"will there be the opportunity to record shared data. eg: photographs and information about the War Memorial itself"

Our current thinking is that there will be a community home page where things common or relevant to the whole community will be able to be posted.

Tagging is interesting though, can you explain more about how you see this working Anni? Initially (in my mind at least) I was a thinking through a system using a bespoke site search on the communities page, but I'm open to suggestion for better solutions to be designed for later

The grouping will be excellent for the war memorials but I have visited a lot of the cemeteries on the Somme and would like to add pictures of those graves to the individual records. There would have to be some sort of tagging to show that the community groups exist, though.

• Alexander Bisset commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With the community pages particularly for things like War Memorials, will there be the opportunity to record shared data. eg: photographs and information about the War Memorial itself. Or will that have to be tagged against each life story individually?

I'm delighted to hear this is in the pipeline. I have a web page for all the men on our local war memorial, and I'd love to be able to link them all together.

• ss002d6252 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would certainly be a great idea - for example I have a relatively complete list of the men who went to France on 1915 with the 6th DLI - being able to add a custom grouping would be ideal.

• Matt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's pretty near the top of the priorities list and I'm confident we'll have a first version ready within a couple of months. Our approach with all site features is to release a simple version for user evaluation, and then improve and refine it following feedback.

Feedback and Knowledge Base