You can enter a question or comment until 5.00pm on Friday 15 March 2019

Routine request ............ can anyone advise please

I've got a MIC and SDGW Record for Private Richard Holt Taylor
Date of Birth: 1895 – Date of Death: 1/07/1916
British Army, East Lancashire Regiment, Service #22027 …..however I'm totally stumped in finding a CWGC Record to match it and have been going round in circles for hours. Where do SDGW get their info? Any clues? Regards and thanks

1 vote
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    cabarfeidh shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • cabarfeidh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Case accepted and Death Certificate submitted to CWGC by IFTC. Many thanks for all who helped. Regards. Ian

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Ian,
        Glad it was helpful, hopefully the CWGC will recognise him once the case has been submitted.
        Regards
        Richard

• cabarfeidh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Many thanks for your steer Richard. Looks like you were spot on. I submitted a case to IFTC as suggested and received the following initial response "I believe you have found a case here. Firstly, RH Taylor was 22021 and not 22027. This is confirmed in the SER, Medal Roll and Pension Ledgers. SDGW has a typo and is wrong – as it often is." "The Pension proves that RH and Fred are brothers as they have a joint card naming their mother etc."...…"will get the death certificate as required for RH and submit the case" Regards. Ian

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's possible he has been overlooked by the CWGC, it has happened a lot more often than you'd think. Looking at the CWGC paper documents for 22022 Fred Taylor was initially marked as RH Taylor and I suspect the 2 men (brothers?) were mixed up leading to Richard not being recorded. He would be a candidate for the "in from the cold" project which works to get these people CWGC recognition, you can see their work here http://www.infromthecold.org/report_missing_casualty.asp#
        There would seem to be plenty of supporting evidence despite the lack of service records with them both appearing in the Register of Soldiers Effects and Pension Cards.
        Regards
        Richard

Feedback and Knowledge Base