This Forum is now closed to new posts. Thank you for taking part in the discussion.

Ernest Chadderton - assistance needed in corroborating identity

Searching for the records of Ernest Chadderton whose headstone in the churchyard at Foston in Derbyshire reads "In loving memory of Ernest beloved son of Mary Chadderton (Foston) who gave his life for his country Jan 25th 1922 aged 24 years". I believe that this is Gunner Ernest Chadderton 107104 Royal Field Artillery.
https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/lifestory/758582
as I have found a Silver War Badge entry for him showing he was discharged 7 May 1919 aged 22. Census record 1901 shows him aged 3 living at 122 Derby Road, Foston with mother Mary Ann and older brother Albert. Census record 1911 shows him aged 13 living at Hey Lane, Foston with mother Mary Ann. I have not been able to find a service or pension record that shows his next of kin as well as his service number. I believe that he may also be Driver Ernest Chadderton 247673 Royal Field Artillery: https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/lifestory/758583
Could anyone suggest a way of corroborating the information?

1 vote
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Albertina McNeill shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • AdminLives of the First World War team (Product Owner, Lives of the First World War) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Albertina, thanks for your question. Have you checked with the church to see if they have a burial register? This may include further details about Ernest. I'll look into why you haven't been able to find the SWB record - I have now connected it to his Life Story page. Thanks and Best Wishes, Charlotte

• Albertina McNeill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

While waiting for someone to get back to me about this I thought I'd add what I do know about Chadderton 107104 to his life story only to find that I can no longer find the same records, specifically his Silver War Badge entry. This has happened before. In the past I asked another site member for help and advice but gave up when he very pointedly told me to use the filters. I could not see them because they weren't showing up but he didn't realise this. They show up when they feel like it. I appreciate these issues are as frustrating for those running the site as they are for subscribers but I renewed my membership very reluctantly because of them.

Feedback and Knowledge Base