Feedback and discussion

This Forum is now closed to new posts. Thank you for taking part in the discussion.

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Undated stories on timeline

The way that dated free-text stories are added to the timeline is great. I use them to flesh out details such as census transcriptions, newspapers reports, etc., so the timeline tells a story. However, there are some general free-text stories that are difficult to add an accurate date to. For example, I often extract information from the CWGC site about relatives, headstone inscriptions, etc. This info was acquired by the CWGC at some time after death, often many years later, but it's not always clear from the available documentation exactly when. I could of course invent a date for it,…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    open for voting  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Occupation / Employment before service

To be able to search on who died on what day.
    To be able to search on who was in the same battalion, i.e. who served next to them on the front line, who was their commander etc.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    open for voting  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. More Attractive & Innovative Features

As per as this site is concerned it looks quite dull. Besides, life stories & facts, there should be photos of letters, copies of documents during the war & also diaries & possessions of the war-men. This will make the site history-enriched.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Printable User Manual for Contributors

How about a downloadable, printable .pdf document that lays out step by step the process of adding evidence and facts to LFWW? I had to show a very computer literate friend how to do this today while on my regular visit to Barnsley Archives - she had been trying over the Christmas break and hadn't manage to remember anyone or add a single fact to any of the men on her local war memorial.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    open for voting  ·  3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Include attestation and conscription facts

Half of the men recruited in Great Britain in 1914-18 came in through the Derby Scheme (of essentially voluntary conscription) or under the Military Service Act of 1916.
    Men could 'attest' under the Derby Scheme - the date of that attestation is shown on their army service records.
    Whether or not they had attested, they could appeal against being called up, putting their case to a local tribunal.

It would flesh out the stories of these conscripts if it was possible to state the dates of attestation and/or of their appearances at tribunals.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. A list or category of life stories that have a reasonable amount of attatched facts

While searching the site I find it a bit time consuming finding life stories with a decent amount of info on them. With nearly 7 million on here it's hardly surprising. A list or category of life stories that are reasonably well researched would be great. Partly selfish reasons too, I think my Grandads page is interesting and it would be nice if it was made more accessible to other people. https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/lifestory/1328971

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Ability to flag some Remembered life stories as Favourites

I would like to see a facility to flag some of the people I've Remembered as "Favourites", so that they always appear at the top of the list of Remembered people on my dashboard. Although I manage a number of Communities, I only Remember about 24 names - those who are family members or people I currently have a specific interest in for some other reason. (Most of these people aren't in Communities that I manage.) I don't currently Remember people in the Communities I manage, because then I wouldn't be able to easily access the 24 people whose stories…

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. include WW1 Women Casualties form York Minster Memorial , 5 sisters screen

At york minster they have a memorial screen with the names of empire female service deaths listed by regiment. My ancestor Ellen Ingrey Green is one of them, she is amongst the 18 members of the Forage corps (the first womens regiment on the army lists) that died during WW1. Her records like 60% of all service records were destroyed during ww2. This screen was taken from records in the 20's so I would assume that most female service deaths are listed, I believe the cathedral has other details which are online, next of kin etc.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    open for voting  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Allow reordering of images

At present images are shown with the most recently uploaded first. It would be helpful if users could reorder images to show them in chronological order - eg photo of the soldier on enlistment followed by photos, documents and citations from his period of service, then discharge papers/war memorial/grave evidence - rather than having them displayed in the order in which they were added.

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Could you add more of The British Red Cross WWI records as they become available ?

As The Red Cross makes it's records available in batches, could you also make the batches available on Lives of WWI ? Lots of volunteer nurses and civilians to remember there.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. CWGC records as seed data for Chinese Labour Corps men who died

Please could the CWGC records (about 2,000) for the men of the Chinese Labour Corps be added as "seed data" as these men don't have medal cards? To be precise, I've only found six CLC men on "Lives" (out of 96,000+). Five of these are because they were awarded the Meritorious Service Medal, and the other because he was previously a Sapper in the Royal Engineers.
    PS. It is very easy to identify the CLC men on the CWGC database. Searching for "Chinese Labour Corps" produces 2057 results. The Chinese men are all listed as having a "Last Name" but…

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    open for voting  ·  3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Reasons for discharge

When recording date of discharge it might be a good idea to have a space to enter the reason for discharge - KR392 or TF Regs or whatever. This could give clues to facilitate further research

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Identify from Photos

Can we upload a photo of unknown soldiers to see if anyone can identify them? I have a photo of my grandad with a 'Pal' and would love to be able to identify the 'Pal'. I also have a photo of the 'Pal' in action with some of the RFA gun crew. It would be great to identify these men, too.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. When searching on any category all finds should be listed in Alphabetical Order

Index all findings - or - Add an option to index your particular search, very useful where only partial details are available eg name & 1 initial.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Internees

I should like ANY information about the POOR Internees; on Knockaloe and Douglas on the Isle of Man! My grandfather was an Austrian who died shortly after being released from there! NO records ANYWHERE acknowledge these innocent civilians!!!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Tagging Faces on Photos

It would be very useful to tag photos with names. much like facebook, so that the images appears on the tagged individual's profile "wall".

I have several group photos of "the lads" during muster that I would love to have tagged with the names of the people in the photo (effectively creating a community).

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Ability to reposition part of photo shown in Timeline.

The ability to link photos to the new Timeline is brilliant. However ... only part of the photo is shown, so it would be even better if it were made possible to adjust which part of the photo this is.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. automatically remember a life story

It would be a good idea to automatically remember a life story when you add facts to the life story.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    open for voting  ·  5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Multiple source citation

There should be a list of sources used to create the facts in a life story. At the moment only the last source used shows up as the source for the whole fact. In fact many sources can be used. For example a wife's name could come from the marriage records but her date of birth would come from a census or birth record, only one of these sources is cited but it did not provide all the facts.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Add Chancery of St Michael and St George option to Civil British Awards section please

I need to add the CMG medal for a member of my Community. I've added the external references but I can't yet add the fact to the story, as there is no CMG option

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5 6

Feedback and discussion

Feedback and Knowledge Base