Feedback and discussion

This Forum is now closed to new posts. Thank you for taking part in the discussion.

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. 1891 census not provided?

I have a soldier with a fairly distinctive name, Gad Leather, born 1876 in Barnsley. Now I know his father is Edward Leather born 1850 Barnsley, and that in 1881 and 1891 the family were living in Worsborough Common, Barnsley. But I can find neither man in those census returns on here ... or am I just missing the obvious? Are earlier returns not provided?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    completed  ·  12 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Reference to data.

I cannot add references already paid for in my own past research. I refuse to pay again.In my case I have the man concerned all his army service records.(Burnt Records) intact.And birth, census and death records.Suggest we be allowed to add this data.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Do not split words in Stories

I just added a Story based on evidence for Private James Taylor, Lancashire Fusiliers, Service 2065.

Looking at it - I am aghast at the presentation. Each line consists of a fixed number of characters - i.e. words are split! I *think* I put new-lines in as well - of course they've gone, *if* they were there.

Please format text properly, like any text-box control would (this happens in Firefox 29 and IE 10. As it is, it makes the whole thing look amateurish....

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  12 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Unremember

Can we have an option to 'unremember' someone. At present if you accidentally click to remember the wrong person (eg someone else with the same name) you can't undo it.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Searching existing Communities

No way to find communities already started, so likelihood of duplication. Eg my GF served with 281 Bde RFA - being able to find an existing community for the Brigade would enable individuals to be added & could lead to some fascinating connections being made between people who served in the same unit.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. People not included

What a very confusing website !!!!!
    As part of the RBL 'Every Man Remembered' I was given a man at random. 11390 Pte Archie Jackson who died 06/08/1918. He is not listed. Also my grandfather 6933 James Greenwood Lance Cpl Oxford and Bucks L.I. and my great uncle s/220597 Pte James Scarborough Cox RASC.

You say you started with the medal rolls so why arent these npeople on your website please ?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  9 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Add ability to delete erroneously entered facts

I managed to add a person's campaign medal details twice, from the same evidence, and can see no way of deleting one of them. So it's currently showing that he received 2 Victory medals & 2 British War medals! I've already entered over 30 facts from the evidence, so don't want to solve it by deleting the evidence.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Twitter sharing

Please add Twitter to the "share" options on a person's memorial page!

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Can the database be complete?

I have done a search for my grandfather, John Loftus Backhouse, born 1894, who was in the British infantry from 1914-19, joined as a private and ended as a second lieutenant, wounded three times, but survived and died in 1963. My grandmother had his military record, but I no longer know where it is. I am very surprised that I can find no trace of him in your database, neither with Backhouse, nor Bac*s* (although I never heard of him spelling his name any other way). No John Backhouse, no J Backhouse, no J L Backhouse. Can it really be…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Additional 'seed' information required urgently

This project has gained considerable media attention. However, unless additional 'seed' information is incorporated as a matter of some urgency the public will lose interest in this effort. I would consider that 'Commonwealth War Graves', 'Navy' and 'Air Force' information is required within days, not weeks.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. In 'Add to Life Story' use full name in introduction

I have two ancestors remembered, Sadler James Walter Strutt and Frederick Victor Strutt. In 'Add to Life Story', it says "Create Sadler Strutt's memorial...." for James Walter. In 'Add to Life Story' for Frederick Victor, it says 'Create Strutt's memorial....". I personally find this quite disrespectful towards Frederick Victor. Why don't you use the soldier's full name in this introductory text?

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Service numbers

How long are the service numbers? I ask because my great uncle, William Williams who was a private in the Royal Welsh Fusiliers has a medal index card with the number 14842. I have a digitized copy of it. However I can't find him on this site. But I have found a William Williams with the number 1484. I would like to know if this is MY William! I appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. 13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Link existing Findmypast subscriptions to Friends subscriptions

Since the additional datasets come from Findmypast, why charge people with Findmypast subscriptions to see them again through this site ? If you have a Findmypast login, you should be able to see the datasets here.

65 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    10 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi all and thanks for your feedback.

Firstly, anyone with a 12 month Findmypast membership also receives 12 months access to Lives of the First World War; if you have yearly membership to Findmypast you should already have received an email about this (if not, you can contact their customer service team).

Secondly, even if you don’t have yearly membership to Findmypast, you can use your access to add information under ‘add an external reference’ – just paste the full URL from Findmypast for the record you’ve consulted (whether a census return, birth record, service record etc) and then you’ll be able to add facts from there.

16. 1891 and 1901 census missing again

OK I know now that it is only a bug, but it is annoying when you can't link census returns that you know exist to a soldier. A search of the Clare family who moved from Staffordshire to Barnsley (specifically Cudworth) in the late 1880s only shows their records in 1911 and 1881 ... I get no returns for the years inbetween. I was searching just on surname too!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Service dates

I have entered the overseas service dates from the service records, but when they appear subsequently on "Known Facts" the "To" and "From" dates are the wrong way round. Is this a glitch or am I doing something wrong.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Some duplicated life stories - men of 2nd Battalion, South Wales Borderers

I spent an hour putting this together; where is it?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. would like the ability to add a ante after up loading a census's etc so I know whats its for

I would like the ability to add a note by each census or uploaded info etc;
    i.e. Census for 1891 Grandfather living at ............ or Census for 1881 Great Grandparents living at ..........so I can see at a glance what I have uploaded any info for. Also the ability to move entries into date order .

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

When adding evidence to a Life Story, there is a field for you to explain why this information connects to that Life Story. In addition, there are description fields for uploading images and adding external references that also allow you to go into more detail. This is public so also allows other people to see why you’ve added evidence to a particular Life Story.

20. Communities visibility

How soon before we can have an index of communities? If I wanted, say, to create a community for people from one specific area, how would I know that others hadn't already got one built?

34 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    11 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Feedback and discussion

Feedback and Knowledge Base