Suggested Life Stories

1. My Gt Uncle Private Edward Henry Nelson Brent (SN:37235) died in battle 16/08/1917. Please create his life story so he is not forgotten.

Private Edward Henry Nelson Brent (fondly known by his family as 'Ted') was born in Bristol on 9th December 1885. Ted was the eldest of Edward and Eliza Brent's six children. Previously he was in the Royal Navy (1904 - 1909), but during WW1, he joined the 2nd Battalion of the Princess Charlotte of Wales's (Royal Berkshire) Regiment. Sadly, he was Killed in Action on 16th August 1917 at the Western European Theatre. He is buried at Harlebeke New British Cemetery, West Flanders, Belgium. He was survived by his widow Annie, and his two sons, Edward and Raymond.

Ted is…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Lionel Vinton

(All evidence taken from both his naval records and online entries in various naval lists) Enlisted into the navy aged 14 in 1905 as a Boy Artificer and rose through the ranks on his own merit to Commissioned Ordnance Officer in 1927 and was awarded the MBE in 1929 for his design for a shield for a Lewes gun (citation available) He served in the China station from 1910 and participated in the campaign against the German colony at Tsingtao. In 1915 he served on HMS Triumph in the Dardanelles campaign which supported the Anzac landings. Following training in his…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Please Add William Albert Payne (my great grandfather)

New Life Story: William Albert Payne (My Great grandfather). Born September 4th 1886 in Shepreth, Cambs. Joined the 11th Batallion the Suffolk Regiment in October 1914 and landed in France in time for the battle of the Somme. He served until 1917 at which time he was wounded and returned to England. He was posted to the Suffolk Regiment Depot in Burry in 1917 where he served, supporting the Regiment until 1918. Awarded the Silver War Badge upon his return to the Depot. William took part in the Battle of the Somme and the attack and final capture of Vimmy…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. James Cunningham

Please add James Cunningham. Her served in WWI and deserves to be remembered.
    James Cunningham was born in Glasgow, Scotland on November 12, 1894. He was enrolled in the Royal Naval Reserves on January 9, 1915, T3548 and S5670 and served on the Inconstant. The Inconstant was an Arethusa light Cruiser which was involved with the Battle Of Jutland. After the War, he emigrated to Canada and then to the United States. He died in 1938 in New York City and is buried in a plot in Ferncliff Cemetery owned by the British War Veterans of America.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. William Harold Goold

Please would you consider a life story for my grandfather detailed below. I have some material including his service book and some photographs together with a copy of his unit's war diary whilst he served in France.

Enlisted with Royal Gloster Yeomanry as a Trooper in September 1914.
    Commisioned in the 14th Worcester Rgt (Pioneers)in Nov 1915. Embarked to France with Rgt 20 June 1915. Reported as wounded 11 November 1916, and dangerously ill with Cerebal Spinal Fever in March 1917. Returned to Dover May 1917 and joined the RFC in November 1917 serving to the end of the war.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Private Francis Henry Gardner

King’s Own Royal Lancaster Regiment.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Francis George Ambrose

Born 18th June 1894 - Died 25th August 1964.
    Enlisted in 19th Hussars - 5th February 1913

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. davemale@btinternet.com

Charles John Male Nationality: United Kingdom Rank: Rifleman Regiment: Rifle Brigade Unit Text: 12th Bn. Date of Death: 20/02/1918 Service No: S/26638 Grave/Memorial Reference: XVI. A. 35. Cemetery: COLOGNE SOUTHERN CEMETERY

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Canlin brothers, Richard and Frank

Three sons enlisted only one returned home safe

Gunner FRANK CANLIN
    321st Siege Bty. ROYAL GARRISON ARTILLERY. 46009 Killed in action 28 May 1917, aged 22, buried Vlamertinghe Military Cemetery

Private RICHARD CANLIN, 13 General Hospital, Royal Army Medical Corps, No. 33038 DIED  of Pneumonia, 10 Jun 1916 aged 20. Buried Boulogne, France

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. William Owen Garnett

William or 'Bill' as he was known, was approximately 17 when he enlisted with the army. His regimental number was 6967. He served with the Dorsetshire Regiment in the 1st Battalion. He died from gas poisoning on the 5th May 1915 aged 19. This followed a battle to save Hill 60 in Flanders.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. C E Harman. Lt Middlesex Regiment. Wounded and a POW

Hi. Another one I can't track. Could he be added please?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Captain Gilbert Henry Lifton

Several in WW1 with the 11th Battalion (Lonsdale) Border Regiment. Involved with the reorganisation of the units' Rifle Training School based in Rouen, France. Had served for 20+ years as a soldier until he retired in 1901. His last role was a Quarter Master Serjeant Instructor (QMSI) at the Musketry School at Hythe Barracks.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Basil Studd, Colour Sergeant Calcutta Light Horse

Hello. Could you identify this man and load as a new name if you feel appropriate? i have him in this regiment from 1915. I cannot find him on Lives. Thanks

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Private Charles Clifford

Private Charles Clifford, service number 4969, mobilised to join the Coldstream Guards on 5th August 1914 and killed at the first battle of Ypres in October 1914.

He left a widow, who had already been widowed by the Boer war and a young daughter.

I have photos, medals, dog tag and mobilisation letter.

I would appreciate if you could add him to your register, from his only surviving great grandchild. Thank you.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Lance Corporal John James Fogg, 2344. Regiment Notts and Derby (Sherwood Foresters) RegimentBattalion1st 5 Battalion

L/Corporal John James Fogg, Son of George & Elizabeth Fogg of 4 Clara Mount Road, Heanor, killed Ypres, Belgium 31 July 1915. Mentioned on Menin Gate. While researching 'Jack' (family name) I found that killed same day and appears to be same area, friend/neighbour Arthur Potter, Son of Herbert and Annie Potter, of 3, Clara Mount Rd., Langley, Heanor, Nottingham. Name mentioned on Menin Gate. Can a life story be kept for these two?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Gilbert Rushton

My Grandad was a sergeant in the army (15th Hussars and 9th machine gun squadron 1st Cavalry Division) and served from 1899 to 1919. He fought in the battles at Mons, The Aine, Marne, Loos and the Somme. He also took part in the last cavalry charge of the war with the 9th Cavalry Brigade when they took the town of Ath. He was gassed during the war and suffered for many years with the affects before dying of his injuries in 1936. Unfortunately I never knew him.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Mervyn roach

Please put a link on the community of Lance corporal Mervyn Roach. Civil service rifles. I have transcribed his diary and it is now on https:// civilserviceriflemanww1.uk

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Mrs Emily Gunn

Mrs Emily Gunn lived in Margaret Roding, Essex. She was a Red Cross Volunteer 18 March 1917 to 31 Jan 1919. Organised through the Vicar she worked on garments for Chelmsford War Work Depot Red Cross Regd 4717, 8, Crane Court. Two of her sons were posted overseas.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Second Lieutenant Norman Evans SWB died 23 July 1916

I have a photo and his war letters and have written an account of his service in the last six months of his life

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Suggested Life Stories

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base