Suggested Life Stories

This Forum is now closed to new requests. The Lives of the First World War team is responding to the final requests received and will provide updates in the comments section of posts.

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Duplicate record found

Please add this to your list of records to merge: there are currently two records for Major H E P Pateshall of the Herefordshire Regiment:

https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/lifestory/5396515
    https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/lifestory/5396516

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    started  ·  3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Smn 3265/C Frank Wallis Royal Naval Reserve

would like Frank Wallis added when the option to include those without a MIC becomes available

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Found Results  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Air Mechanic 2nd Class 95140 Thomas Hodgkinson

I would like Thomas Hodgkinson added when the option to include those without a MIC becomes available

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Found Results  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Private H S (Harry) Davison, No.19853, Royal Fusiliers (Bankers Battalion).

My father served in France May 1916 to Jan 1917 and wrote many letters about life in the trenches, which I have transcribed and would like to add any WWI archive. I cannot see his name in existing lists

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Found Results  ·  7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Silver War Badge recipients merchant navy

Have the Silver War Badge recipients in the Merchant Navy been listed as Life Stories yet? There are only 155, recorded in the National Archives MT 9/1404. If not, can they please join their SWB recipient colleagues asap?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    started  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Ernest William Weaver - RAMC with diary notes, a series photos and the photos annotated, life on HMS Assaye travelling round Mediterranean

I should like to post the information above. Additionally I have a series of postcards showing life in Alexandria, Cairo etc, etc along with the photos and diary notes from aboard this hospital ship. Please advise.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    started  ·  5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Warwickshire Yeomanry

Fred Gould was a member of Warwickshire Yeomanry and was also publican of The Roebuck at Warwick where horses from the Yeomanry were stabled. His 2 yr old son was made a uniform and was used in the local funding & recruitment campaign. We have photos of this boy, my father in law, with a Yeomanry horse, with a local fund raiser who we believe was a local "Lady" and with with the recruiting officer. He was featured on the front page of Home Chat dated 22 May 1915 & we have this copy. We also have medals and letters…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Found Results  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Found Results  ·  4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Young man serving as South Staffs Territorial (Andrew Jones) got pregnant taken to Liverpool put on boat to Australia, served in anzacs MM&

bar, mother in Walsall got his medal when hospitalised back there. But was prevented from seeing his new son, sent back to the front, back to Oz after war, son adopted at birth and never allowed to see him.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    started  ·  3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Charles Reuben Euridge (1887-4 March 1917)

Charles enlisted as Private 50296 in the Sherwood Foresters (Nottinghamshire & Derbyshire Regiment). He was killed fighting in France, on 4 March 1917, at the age of 29, having never seen his youngest child Nellie. He is buried in Plot V.B.46, Vermelles British Cemetery, Vermelles, Pas de Calais, France. On 1 June 2000, I visited his grave and was deeply moved. He is also listed on the memorial roll in Lichfield Cathedral. He was my great-uncle, and very little was known about him. Fortunately, I now have an undated photograph of him taken together with his mother, brothers and sisters.…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Pruett Mullens Dennett R.N.A.S. 4792

F.S.L Pruett M Dennett R.N.A.S. 4792 Wrote many letters to his sweetheart Erica Goodman who compiled a manuscript detailing time spent at training and deployment to the front with Naval 8/squadron 208 R.A.F. Many photos as yet unpublished sequence the manuscript and give a full account of the men and aircraft he flew with from 1912-1918. I have spent the last 18 months researching Pruett and now wish to dedicate a page to his bravery as an unsung hero as no medals where ever awarded to this 19 year old boy who flew with some of the most influential flyers…

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Major Nikolai Theodore Svensen Company 'A' 15th Battalion AIF (Australia)

An excellent initiative but unclear how to contribute.

I am a published author and have constructed a website devoted to my great-uncle who fought on Gallipoli. I also am beginning a commissioned book on the subject.

At present there are 'No Results' for major AIF (Australian Imperial Force) Battallions who fought at Anzac Cove in the lamentable Dardanelles Campaign. Also his name brings up 'No results' despite the fact he was an officer commanding a platoon.

Will this information be available in the future as Commonwealth Forces are to be covered but perhaps later?

www.gallipoliviking.blogspot.com

Michael Moran
    www.michael-moran.net

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Found Results  ·  3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Elizabeth Jane Griffiths, VAD nurse not listed in official records

My grandmother Elizabeth Jane ("Batchie") Griffiths, of Llandovery, Carmarthenshire, volunteered as a VAD worker in the later part of the war and was based at Catterick Camp. Her name is not included in VAD records (I received correspondence from them some years ago stating that there were gaps in the records) but we have a photograph album of her time at Catterick, with many photos of her VAD colleagues and some patients.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Lt. Commander Robert Erskine Childers / Riddle Of The Sands

I am his great-grandson, and would like to remember his WW1 service. Yes, he was controversial, but I find it funny that his sister's life story is included in the records, but his personal records are no where to be found. Can this be some sort of bias at the IWM?
    http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/1030001177

Canteener Dulcibella Childers was his sister.
    https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/lifestory/4946239

I would like an official response please.

E Childers

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Found Results  ·  9 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Richard Walter POOLEY

Pls add:

Richard Walter POOLEY was born Plymouth 1896 and served as a deckhand in the Trawler Section of the RNR.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Henry Marshall Sales and Vincent Sales, London

Both my grandfather, Henry Marshall Sales and his brother Vincent Sales fought in the Territorial Royal Field Artillery, London. There is no service record for either man. Vincent continued with the TRFA to the end of the war, and I have a photograph of him still wearing uniform with his two small children, I believe taken on victory day. My grandfather transferred to the Royal Navy in 1917 after the Battle of Jutland, and served on HMS Vivid I (which I believe was a training ship), HMS Barham, then back to Vivid I, and lastly HMS Blake (Walker). I have…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    started  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Lt. Michael Leonard Abrahams

1914 Trooper A Squadron King Edward's Horse - The King's Oversea Dominions Regiment, Enlisted at Watford
    1915 2nd Lt 16th Service Batt (Bantam) The Cheshire Regiment
    23rd June 1915 Wounded by accidental explosion of satchel bombs belonging to 8th? Batt Gloucesters (Bantam) on The Somme. Both Batts were 52nd Div Kitchener's Army.
    Subsequently served in 3rd and later 53rd Batt Cheshires as weapons instructor at The Royal School of Musketry.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. 2nd Lt Walter Scott Goffe

My great grandfather Walter Scott Goffe is missing from the list - he flew with the royal flying corps and later the 98th sqn RAF when they changed. He was shot down on the 8/8/1918 over German lines but survived having suffered burns to his face, chest and arms. He underwent surgery at Sidcups by the famous Harold Gillies. I have an excellent collection of photos of him and his story. Could he please be added?

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. The oldest and youngest serving soldiers

Underage and overage enlistments as a community

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Private William Hollick, #26615 Royal Welsh Fusiliers

This man enlisted as George W Hollick in 1914, and was medically discharged in 1914. He rejoined in 1915, was assigned to the 18th (Reserve) Battalion (2nd London Welsh) and was given a medical discharge for a second time. His name appears in the [Bethnal Green] Daniel Street School roll of honour, which is held at London Metropolitan Archives. Both service records survived the Blitz.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Suggested Life Stories

Feedback and Knowledge Base