Suggested Life Stories

This Forum is now closed to new requests. The Lives of the First World War team is responding to the final requests received and will provide updates in the comments section of posts.

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. George Henry Markham Corporal 9790 West Yorkshire Regiment Died 24/07/1917 on forceswarrecords so why not here?

Please add my uncle. He was 22 when he died. His parents were James and Elizabeth Markham of 37 Monier Road, Bow London. He was a labourer at a match factory on the 1911 census.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Found Results  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Pte Alfred ThomasRolfe 1st Battalion Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry

My great uncle ALFRED THOMAS ROLFE 1st Battalion Oxforshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry Military No. 8171 enlisted 5th December 1914. Killed in action 30th November 1916 Mesopotamia. War graves index Baghdad (North Gate) War Cemetery II. Victory medal, British War Medal, Star. Born Beaconsfield Bucks 1887.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Unable to find -Jack Lindsay - Born 24.05.1897 & Died 30.08.1972 - Military Cross Nov. 1916

I have prepared a booklet for our family which is in pdf and am happy to share on this site. It includes some typed up letters & post cards Jack wrote from the trenches & as a prisoner of war between the ages of 18 & 20 years during his active duty in World War 1 between 1916 & 1918. The correspondence was written to my grandmother, his teenage sister Helen. I have also included her school diary entries of this time, as a 15 to 17 year old. Helen's diaries cover this same period 1916-1918; document Jacks visits home,…

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Found Results  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Private Alfred Nathanial Humphries. London Regt no 5503 then Rifle Brigade no S29244 8th bn then 2nd.

His MIC is missing. His service records survive in the burnt records and contain a receipt for his medals . link to ancestry page http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=BritishArmyService&h=1128925&ti=5538&indiv=try&gss=pt&ssrc=pt_t23211607_p1362822607_kpidz0q3d1362822607z0q26pgz0q3d32768z0q26pgplz0q3dpid
    D:22 JUL 1957 in Sidcup, Kent, England He was my Great Uncle, his daughter still lives although now frail. I would like to get his story which I wrote for her two years ago on the site before she dies!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. My grandfather ALBERT EUGENE WARBEY 15th Queensland ANZACS Gallipoli and Ypres. How do I continue this life story?

Albert Eugene Warbey, sent by his parents to Australia when he was 16, allegedly because he fell in love with a first cousin. Joined 15th Queensland ANZACS 14 October,1914, prior to being sent to Gallipoli. Military number 6939. Deployed to Gallipoli invalided out with pneumonia. Re-enlisted 5 June 1917 under the name Albert Eugene Warby 5 June 1917, deployed to Ypres military number 806. Discovered to have re-enlisted, but continued to serve. Invalided from Ypres with chronic bronchitis which resulted in an operation. His health was spoiled by his experiences in Gallipoli, and he spent much time between 1917 and…

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Found Results  ·  3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Emile Fontaine

Emile was a French farmer of the village of Cugny near St Quentin. There is a medal card for him as he was awarded a bronze medal as a "prisoner of war helper". He helped to conceal my husband`s grandfather,Corporal John James Cheesman and Private HR Webb of the 4th Royal Dragoon guards who had been cut off after Mons. They evaded capture from August 1914 until February 1917 due to the efforts of Emile and his wife. Emile was arrested by the Germans and treated harshly. This story is substantiated by a National Archive document-catalogue no.WO/161/100/600. Number 3005.This document…

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. John MARRISON, my great-grandfather, was a Sergeant with the 6th Battalion Kings Liverpool Regiment when he was killed in action at Ypres

John MARRISON, my great-grandfather, was a Sergeant in the 6th Battalion Kings Liverpool Regiment, machine gun corps, when he was killed in action at Ypres, Belgium on 18th April, 1915. He was 12 days short of his 45th birthday and left behind 2 children, a daughter aged 20 and a son aged 13. John was 37 when he enlisted in April, 1908 and was promoted to Sergeant in 1911. His Battalion were sent to France on Wednesday 24th February, 1915 landing at Le Havre. In a diary returned to his daughter following his death, John describes the journey from Le…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Lt Leonard James Williams RNVR

My grandfather was the master of the tug which was the first to reach the Luisitania after being torpedoed. I have his photo and medals plus several stories relating to saving vessels from the U-boats off Queenstown.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Pte John Darriell Platts (1879-1918)

Born Grassmoor, Hasland, Chesterfield 30 Aug 1879; son of John Platts and Mary Platts (formerly Walker). Married Jane Ann Childs at Holywell Cross Chapel, Chesterfield on 24 March 1913. Father of 2 children. Conscripted in 1916 (initial regiment unclear). Killed on 18 Sep 1918 serving in 10th Batallion, East Kent Regiment (The Buffs), in the Battle of Epehy. Buried Hargicourt Communal Cemetery Extension, Aisne, France (8 Miles North West of St Quentin).
    I have birth and marriage certificates, memorial photograph, death and war pension entitlement letters, CWGC reference and have visited grave.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. 0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Albert Cordier L/10061 Private 1st Bn East Kent Regiment

CWGC records his death in Belgium in 1914 and his medal card is on Ancestry.com, but not here or on the National Archives database, for some reason,

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Serjeant Thomas Steele 811 Seaforth Highlanders VC

He is a VC recipient. He served with my Grandfather in the 1st Battalion Seaforth Highlanders. I found his VC in the IWM. There is much information on Thomas obviously. I am busy doing my Grandfather's story. My Grandfather was injured and had been taken back down the line. When he came to Thomas was in the next bed. Later Thomas received the VC for this incident.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. William Edward CRISP #20956

Will was my Great Uncle and served in the Royal Marines (#20956). He did not receive any medals of note and therefore is not in the Medal List. I do however have a downloaded copy of his Miltary Record which notes he was involved in the attack on Zeebrugge. Will I be able to add him to the remembered? I have a lot of information about him and a photo.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Edgar Duerr

Edgar Duerr (1881 – 1962) was a fruit preserver for Duerr’s the jam-maker and an inventor in his own right.

Edgar’s inventiveness really came into its own during the First World War. During the Boer War, Duerr’s had sent out tins of jam to the Lancashire Fusiliers, but in the First World War the company completely changed direction and put its expertise into manufacturing to support the country’s war effort.

Edgar invented and patented a collapsible pocket periscope for use by soldiers in the deadly trench warfare. These periscopes were extremely sturdy and were responsible for saving many lives by…

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Tom Jaques 2/5th York & Lancaster

I can find this man's medal card with ease on Ancestry, his details on the CWGC and his Soldiers Died in the Great War record. He is even on De Ruvigny's list. However searches on name, number and various combinations of the above have not ferreted him out of your system. Can anyone help?

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. My great uncle Reginald Walter Cartlidge

Reginald Walter Cartlidge (b. 8 July 1896, d. 30 July 1920) does not appear in your search system. He enlisted in Derby on 13 May 1915 (No. 16/25951) in the 16th (Service) Bn Sherwood Foresters where he served as Pte, Cpl & Sgt before transferring the the 117th IB MGC on 2 May 1916 and later to the HBMGC (later Tank Corps) on 15 Feb. 1917 as Officer Cadet, subsequently 2Lt (Register No. 173986/1).
    His service records are included in National Archives Record Ref. WO 339/89306 C484900.
    Can a record be created in Lives of the First World War so…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    started  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Merge two records for J H B Hesse

https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/lifestory/1845850 and https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/lifestory/5183802 both officers called J H B Hesse in the Service Corps (plus I've researched his record in full)

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Edward Rutherford Elphick

He was my grandfather. Commissioned 26 April 1917 at the age of 19 into the Artists rifles later Sherwood Forresters. We have a chest full of his papers and his service medals etc, including his training notebooks in his handwriting and copious bundles of letters to him from the home front. In the second war he served as a captain in the home guard. He died very young in 1947.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Herbert Louis Darvell

My maternal Grandfather served briefly in WWI. I know from what Mom told me that he made it to the front lines. Shortly thereafter the position where his company had bedded down was shelled and he was struck by a fragment which lodged in his back close to his spine. He was mustered back to England and carried that fragment the rest of his life.
    I have searched the files herein and have been unable to find any mention of him amongst the list of names. Is this because I need to do something to have it added?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    started  ·  3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Suggested Life Stories

Feedback and Knowledge Base