Suggested Life Stories

1. Private James Thomas

James Thomas, my grandfather, enlisted with the 2nd Tyneside Scottish, attached to the 21st Northumberland Fusiliers. Army number 21/1172. I have a copy of his Medal Index card so I'm not sure why I can't seem to find him. James Thomas was born 15 July 1894, Tunstall, Co Durham. He was the oldest son of James Thomas and Elizabeth Bellas Thomas. He enlisted on 31 December 1914. On the 'Roll of Individuals entitled to the 'War Badge' his rank is given as L/Cpl. He was issued with badge number 157905 of the Silver War badge register. He was discharged from…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Found Results  ·  3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Private David Cruickshank

Private David Cruickshank was my paternal Grandfather.
    He was born in Glasgow in 1894.
    He joined the 1st Battalion the Cameronians (The Scottish Rifles) early in 1914. Army number 11132.
    The Regiment was training in the Highlands in Perthshire, when they were called back to Merryhill Barracks Hamilton.
    The Regiment was entrained to Southampton, and crossed over to Le Havre, from there they went to Mons, where the Cams were put into a new division, the 19th, they were put to the left of the Mons-Conde canal.
    After the battle of Mons, 2nd Corps was the last to get away,…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Found Results  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Company Sergeant Major William Chapman Military Foot Police

Born 1874 and enlisted Somerset Light Infantry at age 15.Served in Gibraltar, India and South Africa "Boer War" transferred to Military Police at Aldershot and promoted to Colour Sergeant. Discharged 1910 after 21 years service. Re-enlisted 1914 posted to BEF France where remained till Dec.1917 when returned home to hospital. Discharged Sep. 1918 no longer fit for War Service.Worked as clerk at Ministry of Pensions until death in December 1943

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Xavier deBeaudrap #069050

Pte. deBeaudrap was a Canadian who accompanied French nationals from Trochu, Alberta at the outbreak of the war. He was rejected by the French Army, so joined the French Foreign Legion and served with them in the trenches for about a year. A call up of British subjects resulted in his transfer to British forces in 1915 where he served with the Overseas Squadron, ASC Swaythling, remount depot, Southampton. He spent the rest of the war shipping horses across the English Channel to the front. I can find no record of his service online, but the Trochu and District Museum…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Found Results  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Cadet Edwin Errol Findlay Earp

Name: EARP
    Initials: E E F
    Nationality: United Kingdom
    Regiment/Service: Royal Fusiliers
    Unit Text: 19th Officers' Cadet Bn.
    Date of Death: 16/02/1919
    Service No: 74048
    Additional information: Son of Charles E. Earp, of Glencairn, Cape Province, South Africa.
    Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
    Grave/Memorial Reference: AF. 2146.
    Cemetery: ALDERSHOT MILITARY CEMETERY

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Private Edwin James Elston, Royal Army Medical Corps

Edwin James Elston was my grandfather. He served in the RAMC, until
    He suffered from being gassed and was brought back to England, where he died in hospital in Middlesborough in February 1917, aged 36. He left a widow and one daughter

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Corporal Gerald Percy ARCHER, despatch rider Royal Engineers no. 482478

At the outbreak of WW1, Gerald was a Post Office employee aged 18 and was in the Territorial Army, with the service number (T)3770. He joined up with the Hampshire Yeomanry with the service number 968. He then transferred to the Royal Engineers Corps as a Corporal Dispatch Rider with the service number 482478.
    He was awarded the Territorial War Medal, having served for four years before 4th August 1914 and then served in France until 11 November 1918. There were only 34,000 of these medals issued.
    There is a 1914 photograph of Gerald seated on a large capacity single…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. I have Two very young Uncles who were Brothers never returned from WW1 The were my Mums only Blood Brothers.Born and lived in Barnstaple N.D

William Welch. Charles Welsh 1914-1918 Barnstaple N Devon [Brothers]
    Father William Welch Mother Ada Welch.
    Would love to find out some information on them. They Are Truly Loved and Missed.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    started  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. William John Curtis Private - No 2124 - 2nd battalion Monmouthshire Regiment

William is an example of a working class Welshman who, aged 18 sought the adventure of war being one of the first to go to France. He escaped from being a coal hewer in a mine. His father was the publican of the Plasycoed Hotel, Pontnewynydd, Cwmffrwdoer Pontypool. His mother had died when he was 14. As an 'old contemptible' he eventually qualified for the 1914 Star, the British War Medal and the Victory Medal.

A month before war was declared William joined the Territorial Army with the 2nd Battalion The Monmouthshire Regiment. The regiment spent a short time in…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Edwin Palmer, born Witcher, in 1864, died aboard HMS Queen Mary at jutland

Edwin was serving as an officers' cook/steward aboard HMS queen Mary, when she was sunk in 1916. He was born Edwin Witcher, at Funtleyphotos, Fareham in 1864, the illegitimate son of Sarah Ann Ford and Edward Witcher who never married, but had three sons together, the eldest of whom died very young. His father, Edward, died when Edwin was a young child, leaving Sarah Ann with two young sons. She married James Palmer and together they brought up the two boys and had two more children together: Edwin chose to take his stepfather's name and kept it throughout his life. …

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Frank Scaiff 344024 Corporal Army Service Corps 17 Dec 1879 to 14 Jan 1953 Enlisted 26 May 1916 Discharged on Demob 31 March 1920

Frank Scaiff 344024 Corporal Army Service Corps 17 Dec 1879 to 14 Jan 1953
    British War Medal and Victory Medal.
    Never saw a rifle after basic training. Spent the war in Rouen working on pay for the troops.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Emile Percy Field 1889 – 1963.

Emile Percy Field 1889 – 1963. We have not been able to find any record of his WW1 army service records. We know that he served in the Royal West Kent Regiment from about 1917 onwards. He lied about his age and joined up and fought in the First World War. He was badly gassed in the trenches. When he eventually got back he could not speak for two years. It was not something he talked about.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    started  ·  3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Cpl John Brown 252443 2/6th Durham Light Infantry

Cpl John Brown does not appear to have an entry in the data base I have searched by combinations of name, number and Regiment. He has a MIC with the above details on.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Pte George Edward Smith of Market Harborough

Wrote his own Life Story in the form of a Diary covering his entry into the Army in 1917, his fighting period, his capture in March 1918 and then his journey as a PoW from France to Germany. He was released and arrived home in Dec 1918. He was gassed in 1917 - he married and had 3 children but sadly died in 1928. I have his original hand written diary - a transcription of it and his biog put together recently from census / birth / death certs etc. How do I Email these relevant documents to you?

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    started  ·  3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Captain M.A.F.Cotton

M. A .F. Cotton was captain of 'f' company then 'd' company of the 6th City of London Rifles, London Regiment, with whom my grandfather served. My grandfather survived the war but Captain Cotton was killed
    on 18/05/1915, aged 29 and is buried at Brown's Road, Military Cemetery, Festubert. The 6th City of London consisted of men from the newspaper and printing industry; Captain Cotton was an editor of 'The Weekly Dispatch' a Sunday Newspaper of the time. He was killed going over the top at the Battle of Festubert. Family details are listed on by the Commonwealth War Graves…

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. The sad legacy of WW1, long after 1918, on soldiers and their families

I would like to add my father's account of how his father, William Garrett, never recovered from the horrors of the Western Front and commited suicide after years of what would now be recognised as Post Truamatic Stress Syndrome. My father, a journalist, wrote about this period in detail, including the terrible discovery of his father's body, at a time when suicide was illegal. My father also described his own decision to join the RAFin 1939 before he got his call-up papers because he never forgave the Army for what happened to his father. I've found two William Garretts but…

36 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Found Results  ·  4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. The Great War Diaries of Stapleton Tench Eachus

15 hand written diaries covering from 1916 in France to 1919 in post war occupied Germany. These diaries in over 150,000 words follow Stapletons war.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Found Results  ·  6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. My Grandfather George Hill RMB 595

Name: George Hill Date of Birth: 21st January 1887 Place of Birth: London, England Occupation: Royal Marine Musician. {Clarinet and Saxophone} Date of Death: 8th March 1980 aged 93 years old. He grew up in London orphanage and enlisted in Gosport in 1904 claiming to be born in March 1886 making him 18 when he was in fact only 17.. He served continuously from then until Sept 1920. Among his service record it is noted that during 1914 to 1918 he served on HMS IRON DUKE march 1914 until May 1918 so was at the Battle of Jutland. His last…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. 121938 Richard Vaughan MGC

Richard Vaughan (born Jul 1899) in Wales he Joined the Royal West Kent Regt( he was working at hte Royal Arsenel at the time). he then wasmoved to the Machine Gun Corps. He was wounded at Cambrai. He was uinder age when he joined 30. 5. 1917 discharged 4.4.1919.
    He was awarded the Victory and British Medals and Silver War Badge (MGC 712)

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. John Machaffie RFC

have much info researed on this ww1 pilot and added info on this site on his brother Ralph Edie Machaffie so would like to add John Killed when collided with other plane flown by flyer also already lisit on site

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Found Results  ·  4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Suggested Life Stories

Feedback and Knowledge Base