This Forum is now closed to new requests. The Lives of the First World War team is responding to the final requests received and will provide updates in the comments section of posts.

sstenning@hotmail.com

Herbert Bruidson appears in the Royal Tank Corps enlistment records on FindMyPast at https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=GBM%2FTANK%2F094%2F096&parentid=GBM%2FTANK%2F087991
but his surname has been misread as his father's is written there as Thomas Brinsdon and this is how it appears in newspapers, etc for the area of Castle Combe in Wiltshire, where Herbert was born. His service no. is given as 31472 with an age of 29 when he enlisted on 3 June 1916.
This matches perfectly with Herbert Thomas Brinsdon who was born in 1887 to Thomas and Lavinia in Castle Combe.
However this is the only military record I have been able to find for him. The entry seems to state he was previously in the Dorset Yeomanry then Royal Sussex Regiment no. G/37781. I have tried spelling variations of his surname and these regiments and these service numbers but haven't found a Life for him. If you consider this sufficient evidence, please create one for him.
(A tricky one I know, but hopefully my last)

1 vote
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
S Stenning shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Jane Dickson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello - it has now been possible to add a page for Herbert: https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/lifestory/7700728
    I've added his 1891 Census return and Birth record to show his correct surname and have recorded Bruidson as the name under which he served. Looking at the dates in the image of his Tank Corps enlistment record, I think he served in the Dorset Yeo then R Sussex Regt. in 1919.
    Best wishes
    Jane

• S Stenning commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sorry, I have no further information - his only brother doesn't seem to have served.

Thanks for your help with my previous requests.

• Rosemary Lim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sorry, we can't access the FMP site. However, if you can find him through Lives search piggy-backing on another record and then send us the link we can take a look that way.

I agree that there doesn't seem to be a page for him, nor does he show up on any form of search on the WO 373 MIC record of the National Archives.

I will check back later for your reply.

Regards

Rosemary

Feedback and Knowledge Base