This Forum is now closed to new requests. The Lives of the First World War team is responding to the final requests received and will provide updates in the comments section of posts.

Gregory Bethune

Gregory Bethune applied to enlist in the A.I.F. on 15 July 1915 – just 11 months after war was declared. At the time he had just turned 22, was married to Annie and had one son, William aged 2, with another child on the way. Yet, he put his hand up to go and fight in a war on the other side of the world. He was the first of five sons of John and Susanah Bethune who would enlist to fight in WW1. His application was rejected, however, due to valvular heart disease. Because his application was rejected, he does not fit the criteria for the honour of being included on this site, yet his willingness to be the first of four of his brothers to enlist is a sign of his courage. Gregory is my Grandfather and maybe it is thanks to his heart condition that I am honouring my other four great uncles who were accepted, two of whom did not return.

1 vote
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
wil_s1 shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google