This Forum is now closed to new requests. The Lives of the First World War team is responding to the final requests received and will provide updates in the comments section of posts.

ALBERT ERNEST WORNER

There is a Medal Card for Alfred Edward Wonmer, born 1898 in Bromley-by-Bow in the Poplar district of the East End of London.
The 17 battalion is the East End 17th battalion of the London Regiment known as the "Poplar & Stepney Rifles".
The Medal Card shows a 1st Service No of 8163 and a 2nd Service No of 574044.
However, the 1920 Electoral Roll Absent Voters List for Wanstead Parish in Essex shows a Service No 574044 for Albert Ernest Worner enlisted in the 17th battalion (2nd line) of the London Regiment.
As Alfred Edward Wonmer and Albert Ernest Worner have similar names, it seems that there has been some confusion either in the creation of the 1920 Absent Voters List or of the assignment of the Medal Card ie this Medal Card might be for Albert Ernest Worner rather than Alfred Edward Wonmer, but I have no way of knowing for sure.
Albert Ernest Worner was born in 1893 in Hackney Wick in the East End of London.
Albert was the 3rd born son of Johann Jacob Worner and Rose Rieger who had emigrated to London from Germany around 1885.
Albert went to Olga Street School in Bethnal Green until 1907 and remained in the East End after leaving.
According to the 1920 Absent Voters List, Albert joined the 2/17 battalion of the London Regiment known as the "Poplar & Stepney Rifles".
Albert had 2 brothers, Charles and Robert and in WW1 Charles served in the Merchant Navy and Robert served in the British Army.
The 1920 Absent Voters List for Albert Ernest Worner can be found on findmypast. I would attach it here but there isn't an option to do so.

1 vote
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Trevor Jones shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anne IWM Volunteer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Trevor,
    I attached the Service Record to the profile of Alfred Edward Wonmer https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/lifestory/4844628, and it shows that he lived in Bromley by Bow so I think it is safe to say that he is not the man you are looking for and this service number definitely belongs to him.
    To create a new life story for your great uncle Albert Ernest Wormer, I would need you to provide a source document showing his regiment and service number. The 1919 Absent Voters List would show this if you can get a copy, the 1920 Electoral Roll on FMP does not show these details. I'm assuming he didn't serve abroad so wouldn't have a medal card?
    If you can provide this information I will be happy to create a life story for him.
    Kind regards, Anne

• Trevor Jones commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Anne,
    Thanks for your prompt response (though I did not receive an attachment) but I think there might still be some confusion.
    These are 2 different people:
    1) Alfred Edward Wonmer, born 1898
    2) Albert Ernest Worner, born 1893 (my great uncle)
    The Service No 574044 can only be for one of them.
    If we agree that it is for 1) because it is on his Medal Card, then can you create a new story for 2) because 2) does not have a story?
    I know that 2) was in WW1 because his 2 brothers were in WW1 and Electoral Rolls of 1918 and 1919 show 2) as "NM" = Naval and Military.
    Thank you,
    Trevor Jones

• Anne IWM Volunteer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Trevor, I have checked the image of the Medal Roll and it gives Alfred's second name as 'Edward'. so there is possibly an error in the Electoral Roll. I have attached his service record for you to add some more information.
    Regards, Anne

Feedback and Knowledge Base