This Forum is now closed to new requests. The Lives of the First World War team is responding to the final requests received and will provide updates in the comments section of posts.

Able Seaman Joseph Richard Turley, SS Coonagh/sunk by U boat died 15 Mar1917, Tower Hill memorial surname Turnley (incorrect spelling)

Could you please create a post for Joseph Richard Turley Able Seaman Merchant Navy who died off the coast of France when his ship the SS Coonagh was sunk about 15 March 1917 by Uboat 16. He has no Merchant Navy Records I can find (believed Merchant navy Records of 1913-1917 destroyed). However he is memorialised on the Tower Hill Memorial, London, under the name of Jos. Rich. Turnley (incorrect spelling) and also on the Middlesbrough Memorial at Albert Park under the name Jos. Rich. Turley.

1 vote
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Vicki Smith shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • AnnG commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Vicki, Thanks very much for your very clear explanation. I have created two records for Joseph, one in the name of his ALIAS ( Joseph Turnley), one in his true name (Joseph Richard Turley), and then merged them. He will be findable now under either surname but I had made Joseph Richard Turley his prime record:https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/lifestory/7700706. It would be great if you could add a link to the Middlesbrough Memorial at Albert Park to this record.
    Kind regards,
    Ann

• Vicki Smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello Rosemary
    This is not the same Joseph Turley. The one I refer to is born March 1898 in Hull. I will try ad contact CWGC direct.
    Thanks
    Vicki

Feedback and Knowledge Base