This Forum is now closed to new requests. The Lives of the First World War team is responding to the final requests received and will provide updates in the comments section of posts.

I would like to include a life of 2nd Lieut Hugh Bertram Neely (Suffolk Rgt). 27 June 1888 to 15 June 1915 (in the 2nd Battle of Ypres)

Hugh died of wounds in the the 2nd Battle of Ypres (when gas was first used on the Western Front) and is buried at the Vlametighne Military cemetery (row LE.7).

I have documented his life from family archives (with photographs). He was in the Army reserve (The Artist's Rifles) in the first decade of the 1900s, while training as a Dentist at Guy's Hospital where he was a prolific footballer (this was the era of the gentlemen amateur - witness the fact he played in the United Hospitals F.C. XI that defeated Barcelona FC 0-4 (in Barcelona) on their winter tour).

I detail Hugh's war service from when he volunteered (on 5 August 1914) using his letters to his mother, his diary and other research on the Ypres salient.

I have also cross referenced the fellow officers he mentions (many also died) in his letters and included brief biographies of each - as much as I can find.

The account of Hugh's death included in this biography is described by Professor Saul David in an account from his book (100 Days to Victory). Both Saul and I are Hugh's Grand nephews.

My account includes transcripts of his letters and photographs.

I also have Hugh's detailed notebook from his Machine Gun training that I feel would be better kept in the IWM if it was a document that they wish to take care of.

1 vote
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Jolyon Neely shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • R Bagshaw commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If headstone photo is lying on it side - the photo, not the stone ;-) it is usually because photo was taken in portrait [and why not? seems best to me!] I'm sure it looks upright on your computer. It is a known glitch at the LOTFWW end. The work-around I know, and regularly use, is to edit the image a bit [crop very slightly ???] and load back to your computer, then upload again to his LS in usual fashion. You can remove the earlier recumbent/redundant photo using the cog icon in bottom right of the opened prostrate image.

• Deborah IWM Volunteer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello Jolyon, thank you for your contributions. I have amended the date of using the updated CWGC record - you can view and update from any of the attached linked documents. PDFs can be referenced as external documents or, if you create images they can be added that way instead - please reload the photo of the headstone because it is appearing sideways.

Best regards

• Jolyon Neely commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you. The date of death for my great uncle - as recorded on the IWN site is incorrect (as is my error, above). The actual date of Hugh's death was 25 April 1915. I took this up with the CWGC who requested a certificate of death. I supplied this and the CWGC site has referenced the correct date for four years. They also replaced Hugh's headstone to show the correct date of death. I have uploaded images onto the IWM site that show both Hugh's Certificate of Death and the new headstone.
    Please can you arrange for the IWM record to be updated to show the correct date of death?

I have also stated to upload parts of Hugh's Story that I compiled in 2014. However this is very limiting as this is along and detailed document. It would be much easier to be able to upload a pdf of the document. Is this possible?

Thank you

Jolyon Neely

Feedback and Knowledge Base