This Forum is now closed to new requests. The Lives of the First World War team is responding to the final requests received and will provide updates in the comments section of posts.

Create Life Story for RTS 2322 Cpl JAMES BROWN ASC

Reference: TNA WO 363. Online British Service Records 1914-1920. RTS 2322 Cpl J Brown ASC.

My grandfather James Brown was born in Edinburgh on 22 February 1878 and died in France on 5 December 1917.

He began his military service as a part time soldier, enlisting into the 2nd Battalion The Queen's Rifle Volunteer Brigade, based in Forrest Hill, Edinburgh, which became the 5th Battalion the Real Scots (Lothian Regiment) Territorial Force in 1908, serving as 386 Private J Brown. Whilst exact dates are not known, he was awarded the Territorial Efficiency Medal between 1908 and 1910. As Volunteer Units were not called upon to serve in South Africa during the Boer War he transferred to the 80th Company, 21st (2nd Sharpshooters) Battalion, Imperial Yeomanry and served as 22190 Private James Brown in South Africa from 21 February 1901 to 16 August 1902 On his return to Edinburgh he rejoined the 2nd Battalion (The Royal Scots) The Queen's Rifle Volunteer Brigade.

At the outbreak of World War One he rejoined the colours and was attested on 23 September 1914 into the Army Reserve as a Special Reservist with the Army Service Corps Remount Company as a Foreman Corporal. He reported for duty at Woolwich Dockyard on 25September 1914 and disembarked in France on 6 October 1914 having been posted to 2 Base Remount Depot, Le Harve.

He died on 5 December 1917 from an intracranial haemorrhage due to a blow he received to the head. He is buried in Boulogne Eastern Cemetery. He was posthumously awarded the 1914 Star, the British War Medal 1914-1920 and the Victory Medal. (I have these medals in my possession.) He is also commemorated in the Royal Army Service Corps Great War Roll of Honour at the Scottish War Memorial in Edinburgh Castle.

1 vote
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google