This Forum is now closed to new requests. The Lives of the First World War team is responding to the final requests received and will provide updates in the comments section of posts.

MIC for Charles Tirrell has incorrect service no

I wasn't sure how to approach this, so have changed the service number for this soldier manually from the MIC recorded number which was one digit out. I checked the service number to the free Ancestry MIC cards. Perhaps you will let me know if I need to report the error and to whom?

https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/lifestory/4456902

Thank you!

1 vote
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Liz Harris shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Liz Harris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi,

Sorry for delay in actioning reporting the error to TNA. I followed your advice and link - but as I don't have an account, it says that I will have to pay to view the image, which obviously I don't want to do.
    Is it possible please for someone with a paid up account to report it please?

Many thanks.

Liz

• Jane Dickson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Liz
    Thank you for spotting this; it would be kind if you reported it to National Archives as follows:
    - Following the "view the digital image" link on his MIC will take you to http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D5582084
    - Below the image with watermarks is the line of text: "Have you found an error with this catalogue description? Let us know (those 3 words clickable).
    - The error is in the description - "Service no. recorded as 20418" though, if you find his MIC on the watermarked preview image, they seem to have a particularly unclear copy. It might be worth pointing out that the correct service number is clear as 20448 on his MIC on Ancestry and on his CWGC casualty record.
    Please let me know if you would like any further help with this.
    Best wishes
    Jane

Feedback and Knowledge Base