This Forum is now closed to new requests. The Lives of the First World War team is responding to the final requests received and will provide updates in the comments section of posts.

Please add Pte Joseph Trethewey of South African Defence Force

I cannot find an entry for Joseph Trethewey (born Feb 1880, died 4 Oct 1918) who served with the 2nd Bn. Kimberley Regt from 16 Oct 1914 to demob on 13 Aug 1915. Info from South African Forces service file. Private number 610. He was awarded 1914-1915 Star, British War and Victory medals.He served in German SW Africa campaign 5.10.1914 to 13.8.1915

0 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Sally Whiffing shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Sally Whiffing commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Terry
    Unfortunately I don't have an archive reference for Joseph's SA military service
    files.
    I do have a medal roll images which I could share with you as evidence, but cannot
    post this image to website as they will be copyright to documents in S
    African Archives.
    If the life story is put onto LOTFWW, then I could add a reference to
    his medal card, just without the reference
    number!
    Unfortunately I do not have the reference number - the copies of this and the 3 other Trethewey's I have requested life stories for were obtained via fax c.2000, from a South African researcher at S African Archives, and any other details have not been kept by the elderly person who has asked me to add the information for him.
    Do I need to do this as a new request? If so, how do I attach images for
    verification purposes?

• Sally Whiffing commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you Terry.
    I have an image of Joseph's medal card but am inputting the info for someone else, so have asked them for the full reference and I will make a new request when I have that.
    I don't think there is an online link as I believe that the records originated with Service Files at the South African archives and I am having problems accessing their site at the moment!

• Terry Wheeler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Sally

Will need a link to the info you have given so it can be checked - in a new request please so its seen. This is needed so a page can be created.

Many thanks

Terry

Feedback and Knowledge Base