This Forum is now closed to new requests. The Lives of the First World War team is responding to the final requests received and will provide updates in the comments section of posts.

Add William John Trethewey

Born 7 Nov 1892 (or 1891 in GRO) in St Austell, Cornwall, worked in US. US WW1 draft card - Exemption claimed - on physical grounds
The US Passenger transport lists show that he served with Company "A"- 34th Engineers as a Private (1st class) Engineer. He travelled on the 'Euripides' New York to Liverpool, England 16 Aug 1918 (destination Romsey) and the return voyage was on the 'Texan' from Brest, France to Norfolk, Virginia 24 July 1919. The address for his wife Ida was given as Cornwall, England and also 139 Wing Ave, Meaderville, Butte, Montana.
His naturalisation application of 1919 states that he enlisted 27 May 1918 and was honourably discharged 14 Aug 1919

0 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Sally Whiffing shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Gordon Harland commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Sally
    To my shame I have got this completely wrong. Fortunately my fellow volunteers have quickly sorted it out.
    My aplogoes for giving you this nuisance.
    All the best
    Gordon

• Keith_H commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello Sally,
    If this man had no link with the UK, then he would not be eligible. Thank you for reminding us that this British born man has surviving source documents that prove his birth in the UK, and later service in the AEF.

Here is a link to his profile:
    https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/lifestory/7697180

Kind regards
    Keith
    IWM Volunteer

• Sally Whiffing commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear Gordon
    Thank you for your reply, however, I was hoping that William would be acceptable to be added as he falls under the second line of LOTFWW guidelines:
    Individuals from Britain and Commonwealth countries who served with other nations
    https://support.livesofthefirstworldwar.org/knowledgebase/articles/1164868-who-is-included-in-lives-of-the-first-world-war

I have asked for several others to be added under the same rule, and they have all been accepted.
    I hope that it will prove possible to add William because of this 2nd line of acceptabilty?

Many thanks, sally

• Gordon Harland commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Sally
    William John Tretheway was born British but in the war served with the US forces and so does not qualify for inclusion in the IWM Lives: "we aim to include men and women from all the countries who, at the time of the conflict, formed part of the British Empire or those from other nations who contributed to the British war effort.^ I am sorry if this is a disappointment.
    All the best
    Gordon

Feedback and Knowledge Base