This Forum is now closed to new requests. The Lives of the First World War team is responding to the final requests received and will provide updates in the comments section of posts.

Lives to Merge Please

These men have duplicate or triplicate lives. Normally due to 14/15 star on a seperate MIC from BWM/VM or else they received a decoration.
All are Royal Garrison Artillery

Bailey 27065 keep 5173917, merge 132026
Bowman 2160 keep 442942, merge 442945
Butterfield 28772 keep 4977024, merge 5180802 ,merge 686553
Channing 14017 keep 5182479 merge 771281
Cooper 35669 keep 947147, merge 5199540

Thankyou- more to follow in same vein

1 vote
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Charlie shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anne IWM Volunteer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A search for ‘104th’ or ‘86th’ can be picked up very easily as you have created a Community using this description. From my experience, if the battery/squadron/battalion is added to the regiment this leaves a longer list of results involving more time in checking them all. Unfortunately there is no facility for alphabetical surname sorting within the community and this has been ‘under review’ for some time.
        Be assured that communities will be preserved post March and we are all working hard to update and add as much as possible to ‘Lives......’ before then. Your own time and effort is appreciated.
        Regards
        Anne

• Charlie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Anne,
        Thanks for your reply. I've worked out a method of holding the URLs in a temporary blocnotes file that I can then post into this Support section, but as I said its a slow job and I go carefully not wanting to make silly errors with a wrong click of the mouse. Yesterday I was as much expressing my thoughts to myself in estimating how much time I might need to allocate. I still think it worth it .But do you know if someone can assure me that the 'communities' element of this database will be preserved and accessible in the post-march 2019 frozen system ? I am very much assuming it will be and thus am putting in this effort but please advise me if there is no point.
        I doubt you can speed up the process for me because I am working initially from sources outside your system eg Casualty Lists, ICRC records, books and Newspaper archives to produce my list and it is only when I search on your system that I find further transcription problems in my or your sources. The last step is finding that thereare duplicates and triplicates but I am more familiar with their probable appearance. I will plough on. Please keep up the good work with prompt merging.
        As you presumably know the Royal Artillery was by far the largest regiment in the army and thus breaking down to Battery level is very important. I have checked and tacking on the Battery after Royal Garrison Artillery does not seem to affect the search facility. Otherwise how can I get the Battery to show up on the community display page ? And am I right there is no way to get a listing of the names I have loaded to a community and no way to get them to appear in alphabetic order (which aids checking)?
        Thanks
        Charlie

Hi Charlie,

Thank you for adding the url’s to your posts. You will see written at the top of the ‘support’ page that it is preferred that only one query per post is submitted. Adding as much information as possible to a query, particularly urls, enables IWM Staff and Volunteers to deal as quickly as possible with each request and doesn’t tie one person down when there are multiple requests in one post.

You just need to remove old requests that have been dealt with to increase your votes.

The action of merging doesn’t alter any information that has been added, this would be done manually. In https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/lifestory/442942 I moved ‘104th Heavy Battery’ into the appropriate cell marked ‘Battalion/Squadron/Battery’ as the ‘Regiment’ should only read ‘Royal Garrison Artillery’.

Perhaps if you can advise from which source you are working to pick up these duplications we can find a solution to help you.

Regards,
        Anne

I have just posted 6 individual merger request with full URLs. To do as you requested took me 20 minutes. So the 300 that I am anticipating will take me 17 hours at that rate ? I then have to spend further time checking that the merger hasn't removed info that I loaded. !!!

further to my reply just poste:

I am running out of votes I think. Does this matter ?

On the last community I compiled, there were duplicate or triplicate lives for 18 lives out of 118 Lives, ie error rate of 15%; thus for 2000 lives I may find 300 mergers needed ?

Anne, thanks for the merging. There now seem to be two problems:

1) you have removed some information that I loaded- identifyingthe man's Battery so that it shows in the heading which I think is very useful to others. Was this incidental to the merging process or was it deliberately suppressed for some reason ? If the former then I will check and re -load, if the latter could you tell me why please?

2) The lives to merge are picked up and noted manually by me as I go along, loading and checking lives onto communities. I am now trying to get a further 2,000 lives allocated to communities in the next 3 months which, based on past experience, will throw up an awful lot of merge requests. I haven't the time to keep opening threads for individual lives on this support section then find my way back to the main section- it is very clumsy, and I'm not super tech savy. I don't know how to store all these URLs temporarily (that's my main problem). So I can either produce a list from time to time or I can just ignore it, which is a shame because I've done the work anyway and identified there's a problem. I do appreciate you have your own constraints and in particular you want to reduce the risk if transcription error by me and perhaps speed up your merging task, so please forgive me if I appear difficult. I am just trying to find the best way to get through a big workload.

regards
        Charlie

Hi Charlie,
        For any future requests please limit to only one profile per post and give the whole url for each page.
        Thanks
        Anne

Feedback and Knowledge Base