This Forum is now closed to new requests. The Lives of the First World War team is responding to the final requests received and will provide updates in the comments section of posts.

Kasturba Mohandas Gandhi

"volunteered as an auxiliary hospital worker". "In 1914-15, Kasturba Gandhi worked in Indian Army hospitals - on England's southern coast - set up for some 16,000 Indian soldiers who had been wounded in France and Belgium." https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-46148207

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kasturba_Gandhi

Thanks a lot.

0 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Jonathan Shepherd shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

10 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Keith_H commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Lives of the First World War is based on evidence, so that we pass on a rich and accurate legacy to future generations. This means that before you can add a fact to a Life Story, we ask that you first find and share the evidence that proves it. The idea is that we can substantiate what is said there from other sources.

It is acknowledged that for the pacifist and non-combatant personalities, in a lot of cases they acted independently, and were not necessarily part of a governmental organisation. This can mean that they do not have records at The National Archives at Kew. Nonetheless, there should be primary and secondary sources in existence which document their contribution.

Jonathan,
    A primary source would be a newspaper article from the time, or a documented eyewitness report of when the Indian Volunteer Ambulance Corps was raised in 1914. It would have to mention the part being played by both Mr Gandhi and Mrs Gandhi.
    https://eac.libguides.com/c.php?g=623210&p=4784148

If there is evidence in a secondary source, which clearly states the primary source documents, used and these can be verified, then this would be great. Some bloggers do publish articles that are not only well researched, but also contain citations and clearly refer to the primary and secondary sources used when the article was researched.

The project is "Lives of the First World War" and is not "Opinions held in 2018 about the First World War", so a standalone document created on 11 November 2018 known to contain historical errors cannot be used to seed a Life Story.

Have you considered going to your local library, and using "Times Online" as I think this is likely to have some pertinent info? It could also result in you bringing to the wider public a better documentation of how Gandhi contributed to the First World War.

Thanks
    Keith

• Jonathan Shepherd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why is it not a primary source? Of course, the ideal would be for the historian himself to provide the evidence, but I would suggest that it is a primary scource which gives evidence of a new way of thinking in 2018, which should be accepted by the IWM in view of current developments, for example the new galleries.

Jonathan,
    An article written three days before the centenary of the Armistice is not a primary source.

Can you please find a credible source as per my prior requests.

Waiting in anticipation for further research, and for an appropriate source to appear, which will allow the Life Story to be seeded.

Thanks,
    Keith

Jonathan, to reiterate:
    The Gandhi couple returned to India from South Africa, but made a trip to Britain beforehand, during which time war broke out. I do not have an issue with the concept that both of them did assist in the setting up of an ambulance - which is in keeping with the behaviour of a lot of pacifists - this sound extremely plausible.

If a credible source is forthcoming, this request can be processed.

Secondary sources that are published will typically go to lengths to properly document which sources were used, so as to allow for the checking of facts.

Given that a standalone article on the internet contains inaccuracies, I am not prepared to use this as a source.

The usual challenge with researching a pacifist is that there are usually few sources. I would have thought that there are considerably more numerous published books which detail at length the life and times of Mohandas Gandhi and his wife Kasturba. Please do advise as soon as you have found such a source, and I will create a Life Story for her at the earliest.

If you do n't mind, Keith, I have a bit of a virus at the moment and I think you are asking too much. The writer of World War One: Six extraordinary Indian stories (11 November 2018) is not a journalist, but a Historian. George Morton Jack studied history at Oxford University and wrote his first book on the First World War, The Indian Army on the Western Front, for Cambridge University Press. I would point out that when I first found the Life Story of Mahatna Ghandi, there was very little evidence, and it is I who have remembered him. You have upset me, but as I say I am not well at the moment.

Presumably if her husband supported the War she did as well. You have given him a Life Story so she should be accepted as well. because of Equal Opportunities and to help correct what I see as the Cultural Bias of Lives despite the efforts of IWM staff.

How about the IWM or the Royal Pavilion Brighton evidence connected to Mahatma Ghandi? There is more evidence for her than her husband who has a Life Story. I think the criteria you are asking for her is too harsh, and the evidence I have quoted so far comes from reputed historians. There is a cultural bias in Lives at the moment.

Hello Jonathan,

The important premise about a crowdsourced platform is that there are credible sources. Wikipedia gets a bad press given that not every claim in an article can be matched back to a primary source.

Given the political clout held by Mr Mohandas Gandhi (1869-1948), and his initial support for the British cause at the outbreak of war, would warrant his Life Story being added. Ideally, there would be officially sourced documentation to back this - a document held at The National Archives, ideally. Alternatively, a published book would be a plausible source.

I am happy to start the ball rolling on a Life Story for her, once the following criteria is realised: a credible source is forthcoming.

What you have found is a piece of lazy journalism which has not been verified. I have seen evidence to the contrary of the following assertion: "Into 1915 Kasturba Gandhi worked in Indian Army hospitals."

I would be interested in seeing how she was able to divide her time between London, caring for her sick husband, and spending time elsewhere on the south coast at - as yet - undisclosed locations. It must have been logistically challenging to do this in 1914.

Please let me know as soon as you have a published source - there are numerous books available via archive.org and google books, in addition to books which can be found at the local municipal library.

Thanks in advance
    Keith
    IWM Volunteer

Feedback and Knowledge Base