This Forum is now closed to new requests. The Lives of the First World War team is responding to the final requests received and will provide updates in the comments section of posts.

James Crowley plaque

In St. Nicholas & St. Faith Church Saltash there is a small brass plaque that says "Pray for the Repose of the Soul of James Crowley Killed in Action Sept 20th 1917. Age 20". I can't find any details of James on either CWGC or Lives WW1.

But, both CWGC and Lives WW1 have details of a Private Joseph Crowley 62558 9th Bn., Welsh Regiment who died 20th September 1917.

The plaque was previously in the Roman Catholic 'Our Lady of the Angels' Church Saltash but taken to St. Nicholas & Faith Church Anglican Church when the Catholic Church was redeveloped and never went back. (Catholic services were held in the Anglican Church during this development.)
I have been told, by a practicing Catholic, that it is possible that Joseph took the name James at his Confirmation, which could be a possible explanation?

I can't find anything other that this plaque of either a James or Joseph Crowley having any connection at all to Saltash.

Help identifying James Crowley would be appreciated. Thanks

peter

1 vote
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Peter J Clements shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Gordon Harland commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is a service record for Joseph Crowley on Ancestry. This shows that he was born and lived in Liverpool and on enlistment joined the King's Liverpool Regt. He was posted to the Welsh Regt about a month before his death. There is no indication that Joseph was ever called James nor is there any obvious connection between him and Saltash. Unfortunately the surviving sheets do not contain any indication of Joseph's religeon.
    Gordon

Feedback and Knowledge Base