Please suggest Life Stories that you would like to be created or merged

Robert Banks TS/10227 Army Service Corps

My grandfather, a farrier/blacksmith, aged 43 enlisted in December 1915 in the mistaken belief that only one member of a family would have to serve in the war. Fortunately both he and his son who subsequently served in the RFC survived. I have photographs to include in his Life Story

1 vote
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Michael G Hyslop shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Michael G Hyslop commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yvonne,
        I have looked at the ASC web site and found that the prefix TS means that the man was specially enlisted for his trade: in other words, he came from civilian employment in a trade that was of direct value to work in the Horse Transport eg a shoesmith. A prefix starting with M indicates a man working with mechanical transport.

• Michael G Hyslop commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you Yvonne - I was being too clever in my search as I had included the TS/ prefix as that is the number on his service records which I found on Ancestry. One thing which I have noticed is on his lifestory record his rank is driver but on his service records it is ‘Shoeing Smith’

• Yvonne Fenter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello Michael ...

This appears to be the record for your grandfather ...
        https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/lifestory/168955

I checked the medal card image, and the character on it after the TS in his service number is shown as a "-" rather than a "/", which is probably why you couldn't find him.

It's very common for there to be a variety of different characters used in different documents for separating the letters from the numbers in service numbers.

A good trick when doing searches for service numbers is to replace the leading characters with an asterisk, which then does a "wildcard" search that will pick up all sorts of odd leading character combinations.

So in your grandfather's case I found him by searching for
        Banks *10227

Good luck with your research, and I look forward to seeing his Life Story once you've updated it and added your photographs.

Yvonne, IWM Volunteer

Feedback and Knowledge Base