This Forum is now closed to new requests. The Lives of the First World War team is responding to the final requests received and will provide updates in the comments section of posts.

Slater - William George - RAMC - Died 30 Jun 1917 - France

Born William George Schlatter, 6 Jul 1884 in St Pancras, London, son of John Benjamin Schlatter and Priscilla White. 21 Sep 1901 enlisted Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry service number 6648. 27 Feb 1902, discharged as being medically unfit for further service. 9 Nov 1914 enlisted 96th Brigade, Royal Field Artillery as a driver. Discharged from same 11 Dec 1914 as being medically unfit for further service. Joined Royal Army Medical Corps Jun 1915. Service number 390446. Link to CWGC https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/295695/slater,-/

1 vote
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Linda Wylie shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • R Bagshaw commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

SWB = Silver War Badge [not Silver Wound Badge] - issued to men medically discharged as unfit for service - was started mid.1916 to counter white-feather accusations of war-shirking [remarkably men found unfit for service early in the war, before enlistment or after & then discharged (due to wounds or illness) were often reclassified as fit for service later in the war (sometimes in combat roles or in overseas theatres in less-demanding positions such as the Labour Corps or in the RAMC, as seems to have been the case for your GGF). Less fit still they might still serve in UK in LC, Army Service Corps, Royal Defence Corps (sometimes in Protection Companies/PoW guards) or RAMC]. As he was serving in 1916 I suspect he didn't get a SWB, though I could easily be proved wrong!

• Linda Wylie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you for your quick action on my request - William George Slater was my GGrandfather, so it is important to me to have his service and sacrifice recorded. I don't know what an SWB is but I have a B2079 Discharge certificate for his service with the RFA. I have lots of other information which I hope I will be able to upload to his life story.

Feedback and Knowledge Base