This Forum is now closed to new requests. The Lives of the First World War team is responding to the final requests received and will provide updates in the comments section of posts.

Please add: GILL, J. 12487

Apparently he served under an alias = GROQUET - or at least that is what CWGC record but GROQUEL according to his MIC. see: https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/lifestory/1487543 but think this other LS should be marked as "ALIAS" [under Rank] and "Duplicate" - and a new record made for GILL so as to allow for both searches - think that is considered the best approach and has already been used for many other LS ... unless you can find differently from other records. Note: - There appears to be a 1915 SR for GROQUET (which seems to match MIC 1915 enlistment of GROQUEL) and a 1917 SWB for GROQUET (which seems to match MIC 1917 discharge of GROQUEL) - what we really need is GILL

0 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
R Bagshaw shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • R Bagshaw commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Fair enough. Groquet alias gets you to Gill the man. Expensive things all those subscriptions - I have to keep a tight rein and only dip in/cough up occasionally ;-) Having a dry period at the moment but it avoids distraction and allows a splurge on CWGC's missing [as I am sure you have guessed!] Cheers. :-)

• Keith_H commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The ALIAS gives clarity when dealing with these situations. The variations on spelling of his alias are outside of the scope of this exercise.

It could be worth using a library to access Ancestry.co.uk to see what you can find out about his medical discharge, in particular the discharge date as recorded on the Silver War Badge roll, if it is not recorded on the MIC for the SWB. Owing to the legalities of this website, lookups for others are not allowed. In any case, my Ancestry subscription expired a long time ago.

Thanks for creating - knew how to find and got to the "official" CWGC before I read your comment - and added it for completeness on his GILL LS. First used the external(s) so I could annotate with his various name combos. Wonder if we now also need an ALIAS for GROQUEL as that is how his MIC seems to read.??? Not that sure we do as it seems the only document to read that way. Will leave it with you.

• Keith_H commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Mr Bagshaw,
    It is possible to play around with the search facility, and by removing - that is to say blanking out - the first name, but leaving the surname and the service number, you can get the CWGC record to appear in a search.

An ALIAS entry has been created. It is noted that this man was medically discharged from the army in 1917. He clearly succumbed to his wounds in 1919, hence being commemorated by the CWGC.

Kind regards
    Keith
    IWM Volunteer

Based on a similar previous I have taken the existing https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/lifestory/1487543 GROQUEL and via GROQUET updated to GILL

I suppose what is now actually needed is the Alias as GROQUEL actually k.a. GROQUET creating as a Duplicate to allow for searches under both alias names please. Mind you as it stands all three names are in the existing life - you decide if a new life is now really needed.

Feedback and Knowledge Base