Camberwell WW1 Air Raid Victims
Please could you add the following civilian victims of the Zeppelin and Gotha bombing raids: 1917 Martha Avery, Edith Elizabeth Callaway, Edith Esther Howe, William Philip Probert, Walter Morris Golder; 1918: William Kellard, Douglas Ballantyne Foster, Robert Ballantyne Foster, John Edward Lynch, Mary Ann Lynch, Thomas Henry French; NK: Arthur Millar. All except Thomas Henry French are listed on the memorial in Camberwell Old Cemetery, [http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/12580].
Christine Camplin commented
- and "NK" means date of death/raid so far unknown.
Christine Camplin commented
re. Thomas Henry French.
1. Newspaper photo of Mr French, wife and daughter (no date) with caption: ‘Mr. French, killed in Sunday night’s air raid. His wife and daughter escaped. “Queen Mary was like a mother to me,” remarked Mrs. French to the Daily Sketch, referring to the Royal visit to the bombed area.’ (will post this on the site)
2. Information from Ian Castle: “The widow of the man killed in Shard’s Road testified that he had died while walking along the passage from the back to the front of the house; the bomb had fallen in the roadway outside.”
3. Death certificate (posted by another Ancestry member): Death: 20 May 1918, Kings College Hospital, Denmark Hill, London. ‘Explosion of Bomb from Enemy Aircraft on 19 May in Shard Road, Peckham. Injuries: Syncope from loss of Blood, Shock & Collapse.’ (Death certificate). Inquest held 22 May 1918.
4. From 1911 census: 47 Shards Road, Peckham, London. Occupation: Engineers Labourer, Insulating Tool Makers
For some reason he is not on the memorial.
Catherine Long commented
Brilliant to see you contributing your zeppelin research to Lives. Further to your request, please see the below life stories:
Martha Avery - https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/LifeStory/7681718
Edith Elizabeth Calloway - https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/LifeStory/7681719
Edith Esther Howey - https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/LifeStory/7681720 (newspaper article has reference to Howey rather than Howe, however I imagine your research will determine the correct spelling)
William Philip Probert - https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/LifeStory/7681721
Walter M Golder - https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/LifeStory/7681722
William Kellard - https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/LifeStory/7681723
Douglas B Foster - https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/LifeStory/7681724
Robert B Foster - https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/LifeStory/7681725
John E Lynch - https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/LifeStory/7681726
Mary A Lynch - https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/LifeStory/7681727
Arthur Millar - https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/LifeStory/7681728
Please may you provide me with your source of information for Thomas Henry French? Can you also please clarify what is meant by NK?
For future reference, please may you submit suggested life stories one individual per post (along with the signpost to evidence), this makes the process smoother this end, and therefore quicker.