This Forum is now closed to new requests. The Lives of the First World War team is responding to the final requests received and will provide updates in the comments section of posts.

Walter Huggins

Walter Huggins was born on 26 January 1887 in Islington. He was killed in the Battle of the Somme on 28 October 1916. He was a member of the 1st Battalion of the Middlesex Regiment. I cannot find him listed in Lives Remembered. His regimental number was G/9982, I have found a Register of Soldier's Effects entry for him but no Medals record. Please can he be included?

1 vote
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Peter Anderson shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Yvonne Fenter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Peter ...
    I've eventually tracked down Walter on Lives, but it's a bit complicated!
    The medal card for the man with Middlesex Regiment number G/9882 had been mis-transcribed by the National Archives with the last digit missing, and thus copied to Lives in that way.
    Also, the medal card, and the associated medal rolls, list him as William Huggins.
    However, Soldiers Effects, Soldiers Died in the Great War, and the Commonwealth War Graves Commission all list him as Walter.
    So I assume the medal rolls are incorrect, however it's also possible that he also used the name William.
    I've added the details from the image of the medal index card to the Life Story for William. Please see https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/lifestory/2004720 .
    I had a quick look at births, marriages etc, and am happy that Walter is the correct name of the person being referred to in the CWGC, SDGW records etc.
    But I can find no reference anywhere else to him as William.
    I suggest you link the Soldiers Died, Soldiers Effects, and CWGC as evidence, and use it to amend his name to Walter, and also add a story explaining the name discrepancy.
    If you have any difficulty doing that, just let me know and I'll do it for you.
    Yvonne
    IWM Volunteer

Feedback and Knowledge Base