This Forum is now closed to new requests. The Lives of the First World War team is responding to the final requests received and will provide updates in the comments section of posts.

Second Opinion Please! Edward Byrne

Hello. I'm beginning to struggle finding the final life stories of those shot down by the Red Baron. I'm currently looking for Edward Byrne and think this is the life story I should be using:

https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/lifestory/693351

The medal card service details match details I've found in a book "Visiting the Fallen: Arras:North" by Peter Hughes but he refers to Edward Gordon Byrne". But this life story is for Edward E Byrne. I'm wondering if there was a mistake when digitising the record? But the other difficulty is I can't find any other references. The gazette only records an Edward Byrne being commissioned in the Gordon Highlanders (no middle name) and the CWGC record likewise only refers to him as Edward Byrne. Any thoughts you have would be appreciated.

Thanks

Trevor

0 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Trevor Torkington shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Fife Military Project commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Trevor,
    I am sure you are correct, the medal card image shows date of death, the medal card was originally made out to E Byrne and later amended to Edward but when transcribed the extra E was left in by mistake to show Edward E (you sometimes see other examples where a medal, MM, MC, DSO and even VC have somehow crept into the transcriptions of names, the transcriptions come from the NA catalogue and are not always 100%). I'd amend the name to remove the extra E but leave out Gordon unless you can prove it with a birth/death certificate etc
    Regards
    Richard
    IWM Volunteer

Feedback and Knowledge Base