This Forum is now closed to new requests. The Lives of the First World War team is responding to the final requests received and will provide updates in the comments section of posts.

Frank Evershed and Francis Raymond Evershed

Hi,

I think that there is an error in the Medal Card for F R Evershed, (later Master of the Rolls)
https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/lifestory/1178661,
which has him down as both Nottingham and Derbyshire Regiment and Royal Engineers. Being born in 1899 and commissioned into the Royal Engineers in 1918, the only reason I can see him being in the Notts & Derbys is it hosting his cadet unit, but that's unlikely because his Wikipedia entry has him at Clifton College, Bristol. The actual card says 'Sherwood Foresters' and that he was ineligible for the medals.

Frank Evershed
https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/lifestory/6181705
only has a naval record, he was an Able Seaman at the 1911 census. However, the London Gazette has entries for a Frank Evershed in the Derbyshire Volunteers, which I have added to the life story despite my confusion. It can't be FR, who was not 18 on 22 Jan 1917, and I can't find a LIfe for another Frank Ever* that matches.

There is a third possibility. FR Evershed's father Frank was a solicitor in Burton upon Trent and lived at Win Hill, Derbyshire. Although he was born in 1866, he could well have served in his local volunteer regiment, though only on second line duties.

Any ideas, please, on how I can trace the Frank Evershed in the two London Gazette entries, or prove that I have got the correct one?

very many thanks,

Guy

0 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Guy Wisbey shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Fife Military Project commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Forgot to say Frank Evershed is showing as a Lt in the Volunteer List of October 1918 by which time the Derbyshire Volunteer Regiment was also called 1st-8th Volunteer Battalions of the Sherwood Forresters (Notts and Derby Regiment)

• Fife Military Project commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Guy,
    The records for F R Evershed sounds correct to me.The Nottingham and Derbyshire Regiment is also referred to as the Sherwood Forresters and you will often see either title or both being used (In a similar way the Royal Highlanders/the Black Watch). If he served on the home front only he would have been illegible for medals although he obviously applied (and therefore got a medal card)

I think the third possibility most likely for Frank Evershed, the Volunteer Force was mainly made up of older men in a similar way to the Home Guard of WW2 and like the Home Guard they did not serve abroad. At the moment most of the Volunteer Force are not on "lives" as apart from Officers, details of other members is generally sketchy. Some counties have good records, some none at all. Working out who exactly the Frank Evershed of the Derbyshire Volunteers was, will require a bit of digging in local newspapers and archives but we can certainly create a lifestory for him from the Gazette entry if you'd like.
    Richard
    IWM Volunteer

Feedback and Knowledge Base