Suggested Life Stories

1. 811460 gives name as Selon Churchill it should be Gordon H Seton Churchill

his work as the Wimbledon recruiting officer for East Surrey is noted in National Archives record WO 339/23205

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    started  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Correction needed please from previous added life story request

Life story created as I requested. But we have a bit of a mix up which needs sorting out please. See

https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/lifestory/3463830
    https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/lifestory/3463831#timeline which appear to be the same but should be different
    and
    https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/lifestory/3463831

So, I think that

https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/lifestory/3463830 should be restored to record for 3463830 but of course I cant find him because he has been merged

https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/lifestory/3463831
    should be corrected to life story for
    S/358996 Private Army Service Corps but has wrong medal card attached for 138144, I have added the correct card but cannot remove the incorrect one

https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/lifestory/3463831#timeline
    should be
    Charles William Pellett 138144 Acting…

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. 0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Not on the site: 626347 Charles Trescott Humberstone

Not on the site: 626347 Charles Trescott Humberstone of the Honourable Artillery Company. His service records survive on Find My Past (found mixed in with someone elses!). He does not appear to have a medal card. He appears to have survived the Great War

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. John Thomas PYE (1889-1973)

John Thomas PYE, known as Jack, was born 7 Nov 1889 in Shropshire, the son of a blacksmith. When he married in 1918, his occupation was stated he was in "the King's service". He served as a driver, an occupation he continued as a chauffeur post war. Like many Jack didn't talk about his service but he did have some souvenirs, such as a pair of shell cases, highly polished, as ornaments. He also had a wonderful book of cartoons about the War.

There were two John Thomas PYEs, both drivers, both from Shropshire but with different wives, so I…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Clarence Conrad PARKER (1897-1948)

Clarence Conrad PARKER, known as Con, was born 7 April 1897, Burton on Trent, Staffs, and worked for the GRETTON family the WWI. I don't have the exact date he enlisted or was called up as, sadly, his records were amongst those destroyed in a fire and his enlistment card has disappeared. Nor do I know who he served with. He was invalided out of the army and unable to return to his former job with the future Lord GRETTON, who found Con a job as a bank messenger.

Con died 10 Nov 1948, in London, of cancer

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Merge two records for William McCRONE.

Can you please merge two Records for William McCRONE (British Army, Royal Engineers) as there seems to be a duplicate of William L McCRONE.

I understand this must be a mistake as through my research (with my grandmother) that there was only one Sapper William McCRONE who served in WW1. Furthermore, the information in the duplicate life is in our family collection of my great grandfathers service.

Original Account: https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/lifestory/2766513
    Duplicate Account: https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/lifestory/2766506

Kind Regards,

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Ambrose Drew Shaw

WW1 member of the South African Expeditionary force. He served with the South African Heavy Artillery I have his service records and photo. Regimental Number 1769

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    started  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Commemorating the crew of merchant and Naval ships lost of the south coast of England

We are just beginning a new four year HLF funded project called Forgotten Wrecks of the First World War (http://www.maritimearchaeologytrust.org/ww1forgottenwrecks). Working with volunteers, we will be researching the approximately 700 wrecks off the south coast through a small amount of fieldwork (diving on the sites) and lots of historic research into the vessels and their crew. Given the fantastic resource that is being created here, we would like our project to feed in to it, if possible. We haven't been able to find any individual crew members from the lost ships in our project area on the LFWW…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. William Garrett of Farnham Surrey. The museum already has good document about his son Arthur Garrett in North Africa in the second war

William Garrett of Farnham Surrey (My grandfather)survived the war but it wrecked his mental health and he eventually committed sucide. Strangely in spite of this his sons Arthur and Ronald both fought in North Africa and came through apparently unscathed. You already have Arthur's memoirs and these give some info on William. We need a proper record of William if it exists

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    started  ·  6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Sgt. Tom Painting M.M.

A remarkable Old Contemptible whose audio history is in the Imperial War Museum. One of the first to be captured and the first to escape via Denmark and Norway

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. I have Two very young Uncles who were Brothers never returned from WW1 The were my Mums only Blood Brothers.Born and lived in Barnstaple N.D

William Welch. Charles Welsh 1914-1918 Barnstaple N Devon [Brothers]
    Father William Welch Mother Ada Welch.
    Would love to find out some information on them. They Are Truly Loved and Missed.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Emile Percy Field 1889 – 1963.

Emile Percy Field 1889 – 1963. We have not been able to find any record of his WW1 army service records. We know that he served in the Royal West Kent Regiment from about 1917 onwards. He lied about his age and joined up and fought in the First World War. He was badly gassed in the trenches. When he eventually got back he could not speak for two years. It was not something he talked about.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    started  ·  3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Pte George Edward Smith of Market Harborough

Wrote his own Life Story in the form of a Diary covering his entry into the Army in 1917, his fighting period, his capture in March 1918 and then his journey as a PoW from France to Germany. He was released and arrived home in Dec 1918. He was gassed in 1917 - he married and had 3 children but sadly died in 1928. I have his original hand written diary - a transcription of it and his biog put together recently from census / birth / death certs etc. How do I Email these relevant documents to you?

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Cpl Thomas Swinton Christopher

No 50 The Indian Volunteer Maxim Gun Company - a small unit of less than 100 men made up of volunteers from various Indian Volunteer Units - T S Christopher had been in the Mussoorie Volunteer Rifles - he fought & died in East Africa 11/03/1916 and is buried in TAVETA MILITARY CEMETERY (He is listed as in the Volunteer Machine Gun Corps by the CWWGC & RH & RFA in SDITGW) but I cannot find a medal card here (are all soldiers in the Indian Establishment covered?)

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    started  ·  4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Captain Wilfred Balgarnie OBE RAMC, MD, FRCS,

Wilfred Balgarnie was an Assistant Director of the Hampshire Red Cross. He was commissioned a Temp Lieut in the RAMC 14 July 1916 (Gazette), Temp Capt on 4 July 1917 (Gazette), OBE 24 Aug 1917 and honorary rank of Captain 4 July 1918. He was surgeon at the Minley Auxiliary Hospital which had its own operating theatre. His wife Anne Blanche Balgarnie was Commandant of VAD10 (Elvetham & Hartley Wintney). They lived at the Dutch House, Hartley Wintney (Hampshire Record Office 173A12/A1/2/1 page 30). Blanche can be found in Lives of WW1 but her husband cannot be found.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Edith Francis, VAD

Edith Francis, my maternal great aunt, was Matron of Bishop Auckland Hospital, County Durham, at the outbreak of WWI. When it became clear that further hospitals would be needed for the huge numbers of casualties being shipped back to Britain, many of the Big Houses were given over to become Hospitals, amongst which was the home of the Eden family at nearby Windlestone Hall, Rushyford. She was given the job of being Matron of this facility as well, and my mother could remember as a young girl, going from their vicarage home at Shildon to the hospital with her siblings…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Frederick Sydney Leech, my paternal grandfather

He tried to join up but was rejected due to his severe varicose veins, but as he came from a family of timber importers based in Preston Docks, he managed to join his Uncle Robert Robinson & Son's firm of civil engineers as a timber expert, and was sent to the Wimereaux area of France to build underground hospitals, defences and support facilities. I have photograph of him on the slopes of a man-made "hill" in the centre of a large group of workers, probably mostly miners and artisans, all frozen in a pose for the photographer. I know nothing…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Lt. / Capt Arthur Fox, MC, Shropshire Light Infantry, killed in action 1917. Born 6th of June, 1896. My great uncle. Father - Edward A Fox

Dr. Hamilton Brown Lord Henderson, my grandfather, was a Dr. when enlisted, Officer in the RAMC - 1914 - 1918. Victory medal received. Posted to 5th and 6th Scots. Born - Leeds, 1889. Father - Dr. R. W. Henderson.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    started  ·  5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. My Grandmother, as well as working in a linen room in a hospital, was a member of The Beanos, a concert party.

The Beanos were a troupe of 8 young women who entertained the wounded in hospitals in and around London, Oxford and Reading. By April 11th 1916 they had done 50 performances and produced a commemorative scrapbook to celebrate their achievements. This contains quotes of praise from such as Lords Cowdray and Killanin, managers of various YMCAs and a number of Tommies. Founded by Ena Grossmith, the daughter of George Grossmith, the British actor, theatre producer and manager, director, playwright and songwriter, who himself attended a grand Concert at a Reading Theatre in aid of the Soldiers and sailors free buffet…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1

Suggested Life Stories

Feedback and Knowledge Base