Suggested Life Stories

1. Private William Fosh #1358 King's Royal Rifle Corps

This man enlisted in 1914, and left 8th Battalion KRRC in 1915. His service record survived the Blitz.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Found Results  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 29070 Aircraftman Thomas Charles Manuel Royal Flying Corps

My grandfather who served with 60 Squadron RFC (same as ace pilot Capt Ball who died in 1917.) I have about 60 items digitised and ready to go including some of his technical notes on how to rig Sopwith Pups and SE5s, posting order to attend Lewis gun course, Invitation for wounded soldiers' outing by Imperial Rover Company, Group photo of Officers and men of 1 Coventry Aircraft Park 1918, letters etc. I think these would be of unique general interest

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Private Ernest Haden [and other British Home Children]

Pte Haden served with the 85th Canadian Infantry [222561] Died at Vimy Ridge 6th May 1917 but had been born in wolverhampton and taken to Canada through Middlemore Homes

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Merge Walter Hodges #8436 and William Hodges #8436, Royal Scots Fusiliers

Both https://beta.livesofthefirstworldwar.org/lifestory/1909879 and https://beta.livesofthefirstworldwar.org/lifestory/1909843 refer to Pte W Hodges, regimental number 8436, Royal Scots Fusiliers. For reasons that are not clear one has the first name recorded as William, the other as Walter. However, given the identical regimental number, and details of discharge, they must be the same man. Further research I've done previously suggests Walter is the correct name see http://halfmuffled.wordpress.com/the-towers-and-men/a-e/benhilton-all-saints/walter-hodges/

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Thomas Edward Brown (1877-1965)

Thomas Edward Brown was the husband of my great great Aunt, Esther Chance. There doesn't appear to be a medal card for him so I presume he never served abroad, but I have a photograph of him as a private in the South Staffordshire Regiment.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Found Results  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Eva Elizabeth Chance (1896-1993)

Eva was my great Aunt and served in the W.A.A.C. during the First World War. The only evidence I have for this a newspaper report dated 1921 of a breach of promise case she brought against her fiancee. It says she was discharged from the W.A.A.C. in September 1919.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. When will we be able to load individuals who do not have a Medal Card?

My grandfather was in the Army (I have photos) and also the Royal Flying Corp. I have been unable to locate a Medal Card and because of this I cannot 'Remember' him.

He does appear on the Royal Air Force Muster records and I have just recently located records for him, under the RAF, in the National Archive.

I am, of course, disappointed that I cannot 'Remember' him and with the site being launced on 12 May would like to know when I will be able to do so?

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Found Results  ·  8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Thomas Barnabas Chapman - South African Medical Corps Service # 31 - 1st Field Ambulance

My Great Grandfather TB Chapman, born in Somerset England. Joined the Royal Army Medical Corp and went to fight in the Boer in South Africa. He fell in love and stayed and married in 1903 When WW 1 broke out he joined the South African Medical Corp 1st Field Ambulance. He was killed December 7, 1917 leaving behind a wife and 4 children in Cape Town and a large family in England. He is buried at Fins New British Cemetery, Sorel-le-Grand. I have a small war diary of his and a letter sent to his brother describing his death and…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. My great grandfather James Thorp born 1875, (from Pleshey, Essex).

He enlisted 16th May 1915 into the 5th Bn Essex Regiment No 3541. Re-organised to 4th Bn Essex Regiment 1st Sept 1916. 7th March 1917 transferred Agri Coy Northants Regiment. 16th June 1917 transferred 436th agric coy Labour Corps No 241068. Demobilised 10th March 1919 at Nottingham. His Service Records are on ancestry and numbers used for him are 3541, 203175, 202208, 241068. There is no James Thorp(e) recorded against these numbers on your site (or ancestry). As the word 'Medal' is stamped onto form B103 (Casualty form - active service) I assume there should be a Medal Index Card…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Found Results  ·  3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Cecil Lewis

Cecil Lewis was a fighter pilot with the RFC on the Western Front. After the war he became a co-founder of the BBC and wrote "Sagittarius Rising".

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. William Henry Hudson

No one special or famous just one of my Great Uncles who served. He wasn't posted abroad so has no medal index card.
    His Service Numbers are 33438 in 510th (HS) Employment Co. and 330592 Labour Corps.
    He enlisted 9/11/16 and was discharged unfit 27/2/18 - his service records are on Ancestry

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Found Results  ·  5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Lance Corporal Thomas Henry Elmore

My Grand Uncle Lance Corporal Thomas Henry Elmore. Australian Infantry service no 3733. Died 20 / 9 / 1917 memorial Ypres Meningate.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Philip Arthur Lavoie, Service No. 747698

115th Battalion Canadian Expeditionary Force, Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada fought in the Somme, Passchendaele, Ypres, was wounded 3 times, promoted in the field, gassed in the trenches. I would be interested to find more members of his Battalion. I have purchased his military file from the Canadian Archives.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    started  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. My Grandad Gilbert Allison (6th October 1856 to 10th October 1934)

... was 61 years old when he was selected to visit the Western Front in March 1918, as part of a Trade Union members’ group. I would like to share his unusual story, together with the many extraordinary documents he brought back and kept for our family to treasure. I believe the objective of this group visit was to feedback British workers’ views on how their efforts were being put to good use on the Front. Obviously this was a move by Whitehall to provide some “good” propaganda!

Gilbert was admitted a Member of the London Branch of “The Amalgamated…

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    started  ·  5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Douglas Neil Kennedy

Douglas Kennedy, 1893-1988, Director of the English Folk Dance and Song Society, was awarded an MBE for his work during WW1.

London Gazette: "14th (County of London) Battalion, The London Regiment (London Scottish); Serjeant Douglas Neil Kennedy to be Second Lieutenant. Dated 14th February, 1915."
    https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29067/supplement/1531

Folk Music Journal: obituary/tribute
    http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/4522296

Kennedy's medical records (noting him as medically unfit for overseas service): Public Records Office, Kew WO374/39203, reports of Medical Board to GOC London District 7/2/16 and 22/5/16.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Charles W Blampied

Regimental no 7/4372, one of the "Jersey Pals". The Jersey Pals company was attached to 7 Bn Royal Irish Rifles and did its training at Ballyvonare in 1915: Charles W Blampied died in an accident while training and I think got missed off the medals cards as a result.

The story is documented in Ian Ronayne's book "Ours: The Jersey Pals in the First World War" (History Press, 2009)

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. TE Lawrence - 'Lawrence of Arabia'

According to the National Archives, Lawrence refused to accept his medals and so he does not have a Medal Index Card - see http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3992553.stm

Please could we add his details manually - this IWM website is useful for details on his wartime career: http://archive.iwm.org.uk/upload/package/54/Lawrence/index.htm

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Multiple records for one person

Chaplain Roger Bulstrode has 3 entries:

https://beta.livesofthefirstworldwar.org/lifestory/597199

https://beta.livesofthefirstworldwar.org/lifestory/5180117

https://beta.livesofthefirstworldwar.org/lifestory/5180116

This is because he has 3 medal cards. Bulstrode is a rare name, and I've been doing a One Name Study on it since the 1970s, so I can tell with absolute certainty that there was only one Roger Bulstrode who was a Chaplain. As you can see from the records, two of the positions held were temporary. Please can you merge these records? I don't want to start adding data to these records yet as i don't want to duplicate the information. I've just added the birth and death dates…

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Found Results  ·  7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Suggested Life Stories

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base