Suggested Life Stories

1. Edward Hounsome

EDWARD HOUNSOME 1898-1918
    Edward Hounsome was the second son of Elizabeth & Frederick. He was born in September 1898 at Stream House in Longparish, which was an Inn ale house and grocers.
    Edward had three brothers, one of which died less than one years old, and three sisters. His Mother helped run the grocers and his father was a carrier owning several horses and wagons. His Father Frederick looked after Longparish cemetery after the Great War.
    Later the family moved to Forton where Elizabeth ran the off -licence and grocery store.
    In 1912 Edward left school at fourteen and went…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Cecil George COKE

Merchant Navy sailor who served throughout WW1 in the far east as a Navigation officer.
    Qualified as 2nd Mate 19/02/1914, certificate 008285.
    I have his Discharge books and letters of recommendation from all the ship's Captains he sailed with in WW1.
    He was awarded the British War Medal and Mercantile Marine War Medal but the records for the far east do not survive.

I can supply photos of him and all his documents as proof.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Please create a page for Walter Ernest Dixon

Please create a page for Walter Ernest Dixon, Surg Lieu in the Royal Navy 1915-1919. Born 1871 at Darlington. Thank you!

https://search.livesofthefirstworldwar.org/record?id=gbm%2frno%2f8037

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. My paternal grandfather: I have an incredible poem written about him by colleagues in his regiment

My grand father was John Doud, born in Liverpool in 1894. I can’t find any records about his service, but know that he did serve in the First World War and survived. I have an invitation to a 20 years later reunion which he attended at the old Albion Hotel in Manchester (now Morrisons) and an a poem which I believe was written to him when he was discharged from his regiment called ‘The Immortal John’. It is signed by a number of men who apparently served with him. I would love to know more about this but don’t know…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Richard Sneddon

Richard Sneddon was born 31 October 1881 at Lochside, Slamannan Parish, Stirlingshire to Agnes Sneddon nee Forrest and John Sneddon. He had served in the army for eight years in India before the war and had been at the front since the start of the war. He was in the 1st Battalion, The Back Watch (Royal Highlanders). In addition to campaign medals, he was awarded the MM for bravery in the field and the DCM "for conspicuous gallantry and devotion as a stretcher-bearer. When the man assisting him was wounded, he continued to render first aid and carry in wounded…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Please add life story for Rifleman George Whiffen (5117)

Not found on Lives. George enlisted 1915 and served at home. Died of pneumonia 12 May 1916 and has CWGC record:
    https://search.livesofthefirstworldwar.org/record?id=gbm%2fcwgccasualiwm%2f283360

Service records on FMP (First World War ‘Burnt Documents’ ):
    https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=GBM/WO363-4/007318699/01061&parentid=GBM/WO363-4/7318699/35/1061

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Please add Private William Bowkett – Regiment: 3 Coldstream Guards, RN: 24634

He attested on the 10 December 1915 and according to his Service Records his was placed to Army Reserve 11 December 1915 and Mobilized 20 April 2018.

Information from British Army WW1 Pension Records 1914-1920 via Ancestry.

If you could create a life story for him that would be great.

Thank you.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Harry Cuthbert Cotton

Harry Cuthbert Cotton was born 11 April 1888 in Wombridge, Shropshire to Emma Cotton nee Sayce and James Cotton, a charter master. He enlisted in the King's Shropshire Light Infantry in November 1914 at Wellington, Shropshire. He was Private 16103 in the 5th Battalion. He fought in France and Flanders and was first reported wounded and then reported to have died of wounds on 02 August 1915. He is buried in Poperinghe New Military Cemetery, Poperinghe, West-Vlaanderen, Belgium. Grave number I E 10. He received the 1914-15 star campaign medal of the British Empire for his service in World War…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Please add life story for George Whiffin

Pension records found for George Whiffin (Private L/15775 Middlesex Regiment) on Ancestry, with no further suggestion that he re enlisted later on. Includes letter from his father which clearly links to records showing he was born George Frederick 17 Sep 1900 in Shoreditch. I can add family info.
    (not found on Lives)
    https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/1114/MIUK1914A_119058-01217?pid=904671&treeid=&personid=&rc=&usePUB=true&_phsrc=aOq7299&_phstart=successSource#?imageId=MIUK1914A_119058-01212

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Charles Ernest Brooking Middlesex Regiment.

I have a photo of my Grandfather in uniform and some of his medals. Would really like his name to be added to the stories. He was such a brave man. He loved working with the horses and told stories of the mud and awful 'Bully Beef and Biscuit"

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Create profile

Rfm Henry George Bartholemew

6th City of London
    Service numbers:
    320139, 1381
    I have found his name on the medal roll an extract of which is posted on Sgt Wingates profile on the link below.

https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/lifestory/5169072#images

I've tried both numbers and name but haven't yet found.

Thank-you

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Lance Corporal G S Brooking 1st/7th Bn., Middlesex Regiment. Died 16th September1916

I have a photo of George Samuel's Grave. His brother survived and is my Grandfather. It would be wonderful to remember then both.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Serjeant S T Tilley

Sjt Stephen Thomas Tilley served in the Royal West Kent and Middlesex Regiments on the western front and in Italy. Awarded MM for action at Bapaume, March 1918. Wounded in action 25 March 1918 with severe gunshot wound to neck; hospitalised at Arrowe Hall, Birkenhead. After end of war, briefly on Lewis Gun staff.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Private William WALKER

He served in Suffolk Regt. #65886 as attached:
    https://search.livesofthefirstworldwar.org/record?id=gbm%2fwo363-4%2f7258204%2f29%2f476
    I would be grateful if you could create a page for him. Many thanks.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Robert Owen Williams. Lance Coporal 26367 17th Battalion Royal Welsh Fusilliers.

I would be grateful if you could enter my Great Grandfather RO Williams.
    His war records survived and I have copies of them. He volunteered in 1915 and joined 17th Battalion Royal Welsh Fusiliers. He served in France and Belgium from December 1915 until the end of the war.

He became Lance Corporal then later Lance Sargent. He survived the horrific fighting in Mametz Wood in the Somme in 1916.
    An entry in the Brigade diary states at the end of the fighting in Mametz wood 'The attacking strength of 17th RWF had been recorded as 950 bayonets; but on…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Private Arthur William TRAYFORD

He served in Northants Regt. #15850 and died in 1915. I would be grateful if a page could be created for him:
    https://search.livesofthefirstworldwar.org/record?id=gbm%2fcwgccasualiwm%2f969594
    Many thanks.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Acting Lance Corporal William Alfred SHARPE

I would be grateful if you could create a page for the above. He served in E Squadron, Remounts, Army Service Corps # 236138 and 2nd Reserve Battalion of Royal Guernsey Light Infantry # 7452.
    https://search.livesofthefirstworldwar.org/record?id=gbm%2fwo363-4%2f7323537%2f39%2f809
    Many thanks.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Alan Rawson Williams. Private 26070 17th Battalion Royal Welsh Fusilliers.

Alan Rawson Williams was from the same village as me (Betws-y-Coed) and served in the same battalion as my Great Grandfather. He was the son of the Rev H Rawson Williams and Mrs M Rawson Williams.

He died on 21/05/1916 while serving in France. He is buried at Rue-Du-Bacquerot No. 1 Military Cemetary, Laventie, France.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Private Charles Henry SHARPE

He served in Northants Regt #340402. I would be grateful if you could create a page as follows:
    https://search.livesofthefirstworldwar.org/record?id=gbm%2fwo363-4%2f7302670%2f84%2f893
    Many thanks.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Suggested Life Stories

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base