Suggested Life Stories

This Forum is now closed to new requests. The Lives of the First World War team is responding to the final requests received and will provide updates in the comments section of posts.

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Please create a page for VAD Nurse Annie Clarke

Please create a page for VAD Nurse Annie Clarke, I believe she is not one of the Annie Clarkes already on Lives. This Annie Clarke was born in 1876 in Cambridgeshire. Thank you very much.

https://vad.redcross.org.uk/Card?fname=ANNIE+&sname=CLARKE&hosp=WHITTLESFORD&id=42383&first=true&last=true

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. R V Simons

He is entered on the CWGC website, service number 6818, Army Pay Corps, date of death 20 July 1917, buried Kensal Green Cemetery.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Please create a page for VAD Nurse Annie Moulton

Please create a page for VAD Annie Moulton, I believe she is not the Annie Maud Moulton (b. 1881) on Lives. Our Annie Moulton was born in 1886, registered Linton. Thank you so much.
    https://vad.redcross.org.uk/Card?fname=ANNIE&sname=MOULTON&id=156447&first=true&last=true

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. William James Butt

Served with C Battery, 33rd Division, R.F.A. Driver then serjeant, he was at Marne, Ypres, Somme and forest of Mormal. Service number 43241. Mentioned in despatches, awarded Oak leaf Emblem in 1916. He was injured and returned home but returned to France after 7 weeks in hospital. I have Brigade photos and him in uniform as well as several documents an a story wriiten by him.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Laurence Sweeney 1878-1950

Enlisted Royal Field Artillery 113 Brigade Reg No 30630 in October 1914 in Ireland. There is no medal card (I've checked all the sites and the National Archives) but there are 36 pages of service records which include his acknowledgement of receipt of all three medals. He is on the award rolls: The National Archives of the UK; Kew, Surrey, England; WWI Service Medal and Award Rolls; Class: WO 329; Piece Number: 69.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Louis Glorieux Geernaert

Louis served with the 88th Victoria Fusiliers in 1915 then 48th Bn. Canadian Expeditionary Force in 1916. In 1943 he served with the Canadian Scottish in England. His DofB 19.02.1900 Died 11.03.1956. I have photos in all three uniforms. He was born in Leicestershire and died Vandehoof British Columbia. His Father was William Osmond Geernaert and his brothers were Edward Douglas Geernaert and Claude Geernaert - All who served in the First World War. Please include him on LOWW1

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. George Alexander Nolan

George Alexander Nolan

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. James McGuire

I have been trying to find James McGuire machine Gun Corps number 119164. I have found his medal card on Ancestry 30850_A001007-01078.jpg He has a British War medal. Also he served in the Afghan War 1919

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Charles Oxtoby Barker. Rank: Gunner. Service No: 733 Regiment: Royal Garrison Artillery, West Riding Bde. Date of Death:01/03/1916

Charles Oxtoby Barker.
    Regiment/Service: Royal Garrison Artillery, West Riding Brigade.
    Date of Death: 01/03/1916
    Grave Reference: North-East of Church.
    Cemetery: Clifford (St. Luke) churchyard

Commonwealth War Graves Commission: http://www.cwgc.org/search-for-war-dead/casualty/409994/BARKER,%20C%20O
    York Casualty Roll of Honour: http://yorkandthegreatwar.com/York-Casualty-Roll-of-Honour-B has the following entry:
    “Barker, Charles Oxtoby Gunner 733, West Riding Bde., Royal Garrison Artillery. Died 21st February 1916. Buried Clifford (St. Luke) Churchyard, North-East of Church. Charles Barker was born in Barkstone Ash and enlisted in York. Commemorated in The King’s Book.”
    Charles Oxtoby Barker was born on 23rd July 1891 in Barkston Ash, Appleton Roebuck to Robert William…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Please add life story Edward Herbert Morris B2955 died from influenza 17.11.1918 buried in Douai, France

He enlisted in Sept 1914, I have his war medals and enlistment papers.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Hector Samuel Andrews

I know that Hector served in WW1 but haven't any information on which service etc. Family thinking is that possibly as a bandsman, and so also medical.
    Hector was born 12th May 1900 in Emberton, Buckinghamshire and died 4th May 1988 in Hounslow. He married Fanny Beatrice Brooks 22nd November 1930, they lived 196 Ellerdine Road, Hounslow.
    A local historian told me Hector first joined the Civil Defence Force and got an award for being top at shooting.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Remembering Herbert Underwood

Herbert Underwood signed his Attestation Short Service on 20th May 1916 and this was on #https://www.ancestry.co.uk. He joined the Labour Corps, service number 159997.
    He was born in 1889 to Frank and Elizabeth Underwood in Yardley Hastings, Northamptonshire. His siblings were Francis (served in Royal Naval Division, service number R/1512 remembered in Life Stories), Sarah Annie (husband William Colin Andrews served Labour Corps service numbers 25383 & 93010, also been put forward as a 'new idea') and Rose. He married Polly Lack 21st September 1912.
    Discharged 26th February 1919

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Private Frederick Arthur WOOTTON

He served in the Royal Army Service Corps # M/300208. I would be grateful if you could create a page as attached:
    https://search.livesofthefirstworldwar.org/record?id=gbm%2fwo363-4%2f7318755%2f19%2f557
    Many thanks.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. limitless.lh@gmail.com

Thomas Tranter was born in Wimblebury Staffordshire in June 1891. Thomas was killed in Ypres Belgium on the 23 April 1915 he was serving as Lance Corporal with the Yorks and Lancs Regiment and is commemorated at the Menin Gate in Ypres. He was 23 years old

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Please create a page for Rifleman John Redvers Knights

John Redvers Knights is found on the AVL for Whittlesford, 1919, although his name is reversed as Redvers John Knights. Service number 62089, C Company, 20th Kings Royal Rifles. Born 1900 registered Linton. Thank you!

https://search.livesofthefirstworldwar.org/record?id=bl%2fer%2fd36%2ffmp000000130%2f0063&parentid=bl%2fer%2fd36%2ffmp000000130%2f0063&highlights=%22%22

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Private James WOODING

He served in East Surrey Regt. #30761:
    https://www.findmypast.co.uk/transcript?id=GBM/SURREY/EAST/INDEX/004757
    I have not been able to locate his records on Lives. I would be grateful if you could create a page for him. Many thanks.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Please create a page for Pte Arthur Steed

Please create a page for Pte Arthur Steed, found on the AVL for Swaffham Bulbeck, 1919. Service number 65377 of the Suffolk Regiment. Born 1886 registered Newmarket. Thank you!

https://search.livesofthefirstworldwar.org/record?id=bl%2fer%2fd36%2ffmp000000130%2f0057&parentid=bl%2fer%2fd36%2ffmp000000130%2f0057&highlights=%22%22

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Please add life story for Private George William Whiffin (65612 Suffolk Regt)

1st (Res) Garrison Batn. Suffolk Regt.
    Deemed to have enlisted 4.11.1917,
    service from 12.10.1918
    28.7.1919 posted to 2nd suffolks
    22.9.1919 posted to PoW camp Sutton Bridge
    1.12.1919 Z reserve on demob
    Born Kensington Q4 1899 (age given as 18 years 4 months on forms)
    Two links on FMP to same series of documents:
    https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=GBM%2FWO363-4%2F007318700%2F00595&parentid=GBM%2FWO363-4%2F7318700%2F22%2F595
    and E97294:
    https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=GBM%2FWO363-4%2F007318700%2F00593&parentid=GBM%2FWO363-4%2F7318700%2F22%2F593

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Private Edward William Charlton, RASC

Please create a page for my uncle, Private William Charles Charlton, a driver in the Royal Army Service Corps, who died at Ypres on 5th November 1914, aged 19, and is commemorated on the Menin Gate. I have his last letter home to his mother, a postcard to his brothers and 2 letters from his commanding officer. I also have copies of the letter accompanying his war medals, his named bronze memorial plaque from King George V1, a copy of a poster headed, 'For King and Country to the Glory of God and in Everlasting Memory of........', photos of his…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5 422 423

Suggested Life Stories

Feedback and Knowledge Base