Suggested Life Stories

This Forum is now closed to new requests. The Lives of the First World War team is responding to the final requests received and will provide updates in the comments section of posts.

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Please create a page for John Francis Long, Died 10th March 1917 with all hands aboard the SS Polandia

John Long would have been our Great Uncle as he was married for just 15 months to our Great Aunt Euphemia. Sadly, we knew little of him, but because of the Centenary, when searching Family Trees, you come across a name which sounds familiar, & when you try to find details you begin to understand the quietness of their loss.
    John Francis Long was born in Limerick 1895, like his Dad Thomas before him, he was a Mariner.
    Mercantile Marine records for WW1 are lost, so we don’t know when he joined up, but on Boxing Day 1915 In St…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Please create a page for Pte William Alfred Nunn

Please create a page for William Alfred Nunn, as detailed in the Absent Voter List for Whittlesford, Autumn 1919. He was born in 1899 registered Linton. Thank you!

https://search.livesofthefirstworldwar.org/record?id=bl%2fer%2fd36%2ffmp000000130%2f0063&parentid=bl%2fer%2fd36%2ffmp000000130%2f0063&highlights=%22%22

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Merge life stories of Wililam Reynolds Cutler: 1070772 and 6759241

In the directions it said add your story first, then suggest a merge so my apologies for missing the 11 Mar deadline. Please consider this request.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Acting Serjeant Thomas Dominick Wallace

I note today that Acting Serjeant Thomas Dominick Wallace (https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/lifestory/4590819) has been demoted back to 'Driver', his initial rank rather than his final rank. It would be really good if he could be re-instated to 'Acting Serjeant' please.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Private Ralph Henry Tompkins 27043

Private Ralph Henry Tompkins 27043, 6th Battalion, Bedfordshire Regiment, died of wounds on 9th August 1916 aged 21 years. He was wounded in the head during an engagement with the enemy, and later died of his wounds. His death was recorded in the Evening Telegraph (Wellingborough) on 17th August 1916.
    Ralph was the son of William Oliver Tompkins and Judith new Bradshaw (of Odell); brother of George William, Len, Fred, Arch, Clarence and May, of Dychurch Lane, Bozeat, Wellimgborough, Northants. He enlisted in Amptill, Bedfordshire.
    Ralph was a member of the Wesleyan Chapel bible class so during the service on…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. George Henry Chapman

Pte 615688 1st 19th Bn London Regt. Died of wounds (gas) 5th Dec 1917. Buried XXXI. A. 8A Cemetery Etables, France.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Bertie William Friis

Reg no. 12027, served In France 1916-1917

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. George Rich Parsons

Have a photo of George Rich Parsons who survived the war; showing him mounted on horse with army uniform - a private. No regiment or service details located.Birth certificate May 1888 St Saviours parish Bermondsey S E London. Married Edith had children incl Reuben. Lived Walworth area of S E London.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Odell, Arthur Richard Magub Odell, private Argyle & Sutherland Highlanders

Ypres Battle please add to your records. I am his daughter and concur to his name being added

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Please create a page for Miss Olive Briggs

Please consider a page for Miss Olive Briggs, Commandant of the VAD Hospital at Whittlesford, Cambs, between 1915-1918. She was born in 1885, registered Linton, full name Olive Mary Briggs. Thank you.

Her Red Cross card is at https://vad.redcross.org.uk/Card?fname=olive&sname=briggs&hosp=whittlesford&id=27129&first=true&last=true

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Create page for Pte Percival Hutchinson Samuels

I discovered this soldier on our war memorial and his grave in the village cemetery but he was not listed with CWGC. They and the MoD have accepted that he was a WW1 casualty and he is now listed on the CWGC website. Please put up a page for him

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Please create a page for Mrs Catherine Arnold

Please consider a page for Mrs Catherine Arnold, Quartermaster of the VAD Hospital at Whittlesford, Cambs, between 1915-1918. She was born in 1865 at Cambridge, maiden name Catherine Minnie carter. Thank you.

Her Red Cross card is at https://vad.redcross.org.uk/Card?fname=catherine&sname=arnold&hosp=whittlesford&id=5766&first=true&last=true

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Please add Private,Reginald John Loveridge, Regiment:Princess Charlotte of Wales’s (Royal Berkshire) Regiment, 9th Battalion, RN:TR/8/818171

He died on the 14 May 1917 in an Isolation Hospital in England - the information is from UK, Soldiers Died in the Great War, 1914-1919 via and UK, Army Registers of Soldiers’ Effects, 101-1929 via Ancestry.

If you could create a life story for him that would be great as I have additional information I would like to add to remember his sacrifice during WW1.

Thank you.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Please add Deck Hand - Harold John Hitchcock –Royal Navy Reserve SN: SD 653 – served between 1915-1917.

He was Killed in loss of vessel in the Atlantic – HM Trawler “Robert Smith”, 20 July 1917.

I have a copy of his service record via Ancestry/Discovery National Archives – UK, Royal Naval Reserve Service Records – Reference: BT 377/7/93081. Also, his details recorded in the Royal Navy Death Records – Ancestry and Royal Navy and Royal Marine War Graves Rolls, 1914-1919 – Ancestry.

If you could create a life story for him as I have additional information I would like to add to remember his sacrifice during WW1.

Thank you.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Please would you add Second Lieutenant PETER WILLIAM MERTON ORME, Royal Flying Corps, and Royal Sussex Regiment. Thank you.

ORME, PETER WILLIAM MERTON. Rank: Second Lieutenant. Date of Death: 07/05/1917.
    Age: 26. Regiment/Service: Royal Flying Corps, and Royal Sussex Regiment
    Grave Reference: D. E. 144. Cemetery: HOVE OLD CEMETERY
    (Son of Henry Merton Orme and Elizabeth Henrietta Orme) Born at Slinfold, Sussex and on the Slinfold WW1 Roll of Honour.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Lance Corporal Ezekial Ellis 1oth Battalion Sherwood Foresters

THE SHORT STORY OF THE UNCLE I NEVER KNEW. #Somme100

My uncle Ezekiel Ellis was born in 1893. The only photograph we have of him is in Ilkeston Hospital with his father. In January 1912, after my grandfather had died, Ezekiel left home. At the age of 18 years and 10 months, in January 1912, he joined the 10th Battalion of the Sherwood Foresters, Nottinghamshire & Derbyshire Regiment. His service number was 32944. He left without his families agreement but kept in contact with his younger sister “Cissie”.

My father was 2 years old when Zeke died in 1916 and…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)