Suggested Life Stories

This Forum is now closed to new requests. The Lives of the First World War team is responding to the final requests received and will provide updates in the comments section of posts.

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Lives to Merge Please

These men have duplicate or triplicate lives. Normally due to 14/15 star on a seperate MIC from BWM/VM or else they received a decoration.
    All are Royal Garrison Artillery

Bailey 27065 keep 5173917, merge 132026
    Bowman 2160 keep 442942, merge 442945
    Butterfield 28772 keep 4977024, merge 5180802 ,merge 686553
    Channing 14017 keep 5182479 merge 771281
    Cooper 35669 keep 947147, merge 5199540

Thankyou- more to follow in same vein

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Please add Charles Alfred Thew RN 179923

Records on LOTFWW and elsewhere confirming RN RFR RNAS, eligible for 14-15 Star, BM, VM, SWB

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 2Lt Frank W Stiven - add record

Please consider adding 2Lt Frank W Stiven of 6 Border Regt - no record found on your site; individual served with my grandfather, Adam Fulton of Border Regiment. Stiven's photo exists & other records

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Please merge three entries for G G T Toller

GGT Toller Capt. life story nos. 4464352, 5474127 and GGT Toller Lt. life story no. 5409798

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. I would like to include a life of 2nd Lieut Hugh Bertram Neely (Suffolk Rgt). 27 June 1888 to 15 June 1915 (in the 2nd Battle of Ypres)

Hugh died of wounds in the the 2nd Battle of Ypres (when gas was first used on the Western Front) and is buried at the Vlametighne Military cemetery (row LE.7).

I have documented his life from family archives (with photographs). He was in the Army reserve (The Artist's Rifles) in the first decade of the 1900s, while training as a Dentist at Guy's Hospital where he was a prolific footballer (this was the era of the gentlemen amateur - witness the fact he played in the United Hospitals F.C. XI that defeated Barcelona FC 0-4 (in Barcelona) on their winter…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. George Alexander Nolan

George Alexander Nolan

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Private Edward William Charlton, RASC

Please create a page for my uncle, Private William Charles Charlton, a driver in the Royal Army Service Corps, who died at Ypres on 5th November 1914, aged 19, and is commemorated on the Menin Gate. I have his last letter home to his mother, a postcard to his brothers and 2 letters from his commanding officer. I also have copies of the letter accompanying his war medals, his named bronze memorial plaque from King George V1, a copy of a poster headed, 'For King and Country to the Glory of God and in Everlasting Memory of........', photos of his…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. sstenning@hotmail.com

Herbert Bruidson appears in the Royal Tank Corps enlistment records on FindMyPast at https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=GBM%2FTANK%2F094%2F096&parentid=GBM%2FTANK%2F087991
    but his surname has been misread as his father's is written there as Thomas Brinsdon and this is how it appears in newspapers, etc for the area of Castle Combe in Wiltshire, where Herbert was born. His service no. is given as 31472 with an age of 29 when he enlisted on 3 June 1916.
    This matches perfectly with Herbert Thomas Brinsdon who was born in 1887 to Thomas and Lavinia in Castle Combe.
    However this is the only military record I have been able to…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Please create a page for Pte James Cann

Please create a page for Pte James Cann, found on the 1919 AVL for Whittlesford. Service number 24786, 19th Royal Defence Corp. Born 1875 registered Saffron Walden. Thank you.

https://search.livesofthefirstworldwar.org/record?id=bl%2fer%2fd36%2ffmp000000130%2f0063&parentid=bl%2fer%2fd36%2ffmp000000130%2f0063&highlights=%22%22

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Christopher Little, Private, AIF, 43 Btn, KIA 28 Mar 1918

Please add the story of Pte C Little, No 4813, 43 Btn, 3rd Div, AIF. His orphaned family remained in UK. I can send full text with documentary evidence. He also fought in 2nd Boer War with the Imperial Yeomanry. He was descended from blacksmiths and was a boilersmith. See http://heritage.stockton.gov.uk/people/christopher-little-the-stockton-anzac/ and also https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Little-4634 for outline

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Daniel Taylor (né Ferguson)

Apologies for missing deadline. Daniel, my grandfather, was involved in the Formidable disaster as a 16 year old apprentice on Brixham Fishing Smack, Provident BM 291 - saving 72 sailors from the warship which was sunk in the English Channel on 1st January 1915 by a German submarine. He was later in the Royal Naval Reserve (Trawler Section) for two years from 1916 till the end of the war after the fishing boat was sunk, also by the crew of a submarine who ordered them off before scuppering it. I would love to put him on the site along with…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. William YOUNG RSM. 6677 Essex Regiment

William YOUNG joined the Essex Regiment underage, he saw action in various campaigns and one various medals and was mentioned in dispatches twice. Medal include the French medal of Honour. Following on from WW1 he was one of the earlier dispatch riders with the AA (Automobile Association) as a Motorcycle Patrolman at the out break of WW2 he re-enlisted with the Essex Regiment were he served as RSM in a Kent camp (Possibly Folkestone) as a training officer for what was to become SAS. He dies in 1951 and was buried at Brentwood Cathedral with full Military honours. (I have…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Please create a page for Pte Frederick Fuller

Please create a page for Pte Frederick Fuller, recorded on the Br Absent Voter List for Whittlesford, 1920 (PC of Cambridgeshire) on FMP. His service number is 85258, of 11th Btn Queens Royal West Surrey Regiment. Born 1900 at Kingston, Surrey. Many thanks.

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=BL/ER/D22/FMP000001682/0916&parentid=BL/ER/D22/FMP000001682/0916

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Please Add William Albert Payne (my great grandfather)

New Life Story: William Albert Payne (My Great grandfather). Born September 4th 1886 in Shepreth, Cambs. Joined the 11th Batallion the Suffolk Regiment in October 1914 and landed in France in time for the battle of the Somme. He served until 1917 at which time he was wounded and returned to England. He was posted to the Suffolk Regiment Depot in Burry in 1917 where he served, supporting the Regiment until 1918. Awarded the Silver War Badge upon his return to the Depot. William took part in the Battle of the Somme and the attack and final capture of Vimmy…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. William Harold Goold

Please would you consider a life story for my grandfather detailed below. I have some material including his service book and some photographs together with a copy of his unit's war diary whilst he served in France.

Enlisted with Royal Gloster Yeomanry as a Trooper in September 1914.
    Commisioned in the 14th Worcester Rgt (Pioneers)in Nov 1915. Embarked to France with Rgt 20 June 1915. Reported as wounded 11 November 1916, and dangerously ill with Cerebal Spinal Fever in March 1917. Returned to Dover May 1917 and joined the RFC in November 1917 serving to the end of the war.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. C E Harman. Lt Middlesex Regiment. Wounded and a POW

Hi. Another one I can't track. Could he be added please?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Captain Gilbert Henry Lifton

Several in WW1 with the 11th Battalion (Lonsdale) Border Regiment. Involved with the reorganisation of the units' Rifle Training School based in Rouen, France. Had served for 20+ years as a soldier until he retired in 1901. His last role was a Quarter Master Serjeant Instructor (QMSI) at the Musketry School at Hythe Barracks.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. N M Buller Irish Guards

Wounded twice in action, listed on Forces Records for the regiment and in external books but I can't find him! sorry but I don't have much information....Listed as a Lieutenant in my records by the end of 1915

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Suggested Life Stories

Feedback and Knowledge Base