Suggested Life Stories

This Forum is now closed to new requests. The Lives of the First World War team is responding to the final requests received and will provide updates in the comments section of posts.

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Walter Herbert Adcock

Please add to LOTFWW, British Army, Walter Herbert Adcock, 245350 Royal Fusiliers, Absent Voters List, New Houses, Charing, Kent.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    9 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. French Liaison Officer

Would it be possible to create a Life for Sergeant-Major Cheramy who appears to have been the French liaison officer attached to 5th Scottish Rifles .

The battalion history records: "Our Parisian jeweller friend, Sergeant-Major Cheramy, our interpreter and French liaison officer, left us here on promotion to GHQ. Lucky man! No more mud and muck for him. His promotion was well deserved, and we parted with regret after nine months' friendship with one who was the guide, comforter and friend of all, irrespective of rank."

"The Fifth Battalion The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) 1914-1919"; Jackson and Son, Glasgow, 1936; pp…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    10 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. George Wroe, CPO Royal Navy (retired)

I think he should be on the site: he worked at HMS Excellent, Portsmouth during WWI.

He was born in 1867, joined the RN and ended up as Senior Gunnery Instructor on HMS Excellent in 1896. After he retired from that (and including the time of WWI) he was working as Canteen Manager at HMS Excellent, so was very much part of the Royal Navy's shore establishment.

I have a lot of information about him but have just found an old photo of him in uniform next to a field gun, with a sea cadet in uniform (sadly unidentified) standing…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Charles Ernest Brooking Middlesex Regiment.

I have a photo of my Grandfather in uniform and some of his medals. Would really like his name to be added to the stories. He was such a brave man. He loved working with the horses and told stories of the mud and awful 'Bully Beef and Biscuit"

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Please create a page for Pte Thomas Henry Peter Mills

Records found for the above on Br Army WWI Pension Records 1914-1920 on Ancestry. Service number 1522 for Essex Regt., 65 Provisional 4th Btn, B Company Territorial Force. Thomas was born in 1895 at Strood, Kent. Thank you very much.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Clifford Henry Benn Kitchin: create story

Served with the 1/8 Royal Warwickshire Regiment (Lieutenant). Source: Robert David Williams, A Social and Military History of the 1/8th Battalion, The Royal Warwickshire Regiment in the Great War (unpublished Master’s thesis, University of Birmingham, 1999).

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Gilbert Rushton

My Grandad was a sergeant in the army (15th Hussars and 9th machine gun squadron 1st Cavalry Division) and served from 1899 to 1919. He fought in the battles at Mons, The Aine, Marne, Loos and the Somme. He also took part in the last cavalry charge of the war with the 9th Cavalry Brigade when they took the town of Ath. He was gassed during the war and suffered for many years with the affects before dying of his injuries in 1936. Unfortunately I never knew him.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Mrs Eliza Jane Smith

Can you create a Life Story for Mrs Eliza Jane Smith (born 12/10/1861) who was nursing at Hinwick House Relief Hospital, Nr Podington, Beds. We have a photograph dated May 1916 of staff and patients which has the date, hospital name, names of staff and patients written on the reverse.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Please add Albert Thew - attested The King's Liverpool Regiment 1915

The LOTFWW search includes four records for this man, all linking to Liverpool and his service with King's Liverpool, 253 company RDC, RW Fusiliers and finally 15th Worcestershire. Demob 1919. He ISN'T the same man as either of the Albert Thew medal cards. I've matched them to the correct Albert Edward/Clarence Thews.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. My paternal grandfather: I have an incredible poem written about him by colleagues in his regiment

My grand father was John Doud, born in Liverpool in 1894. I can’t find any records about his service, but know that he did serve in the First World War and survived. I have an invitation to a 20 years later reunion which he attended at the old Albion Hotel in Manchester (now Morrisons) and an a poem which I believe was written to him when he was discharged from his regiment called ‘The Immortal John’. It is signed by a number of men who apparently served with him. I would love to know more about this but don’t know…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Harold Jones b. 29/9/1885 Chelsea, London-d.20/2/1919 (resulting from war service)

A member of the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve, London Motor Boat Section 18 Jan 1916-4 April 1918. Chief Motor Mechanic, Official No. MB831 London Motor Boat Section Of RNVR 1916-1918
    Invalided out 4 April 1918 Bronchitis cause of death Influenza & Broincho-Pneumonia resulting from service.

Notification from Admiralty, S.W. Dated 14 Mar 1918 & stamped:
    Awarded War Badge No. R.N.24873 to H.Jones late CMM Royal Naval Hospital, Haslar, Gosport for “Services Rendered” in H.M. Naval Forces since 4th August, 1914. 
    Associated silver badge No. RN24783(stamped on the rear) in the possession of Dorothy Tench (his niece).

H. Jones:C.M.M. O.N.…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Rev Hugh Le Fleming

This man served in the Army Chaplain's Dept I believe and is brother to the Dr Le Fleming I asked about yesterday. Can he be added please? Thanks

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Please create a page for L-Cpl William George Deller

Please add William George Deller, recorded on the Br Absent Voter Lists 1919 for Whittlesford on FMP. Service number 97215, L-Cpl of the Royal Fusiliers. Born 1900, registered Saffron Walden, Essex. Thank you.

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=BL/ER/D36/FMP000000130/0063&parentid=BL/ER/D36/FMP000000130/0063

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Create story for Wilfrid Wilson Gibson

Gibson did not see overseas duty, but accepted as Private in Army Service Corps Motor Transport in Oct. 1917. Evidence here: http://www.warpoets.org/conflicts/great-war/wilfrid-wilson-gibson-1878-1962/

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. James Cunningham

Please add James Cunningham. Her served in WWI and deserves to be remembered.
    James Cunningham was born in Glasgow, Scotland on November 12, 1894. He was enrolled in the Royal Naval Reserves on January 9, 1915, T3548 and S5670 and served on the Inconstant. The Inconstant was an Arethusa light Cruiser which was involved with the Battle Of Jutland. After the War, he emigrated to Canada and then to the United States. He died in 1938 in New York City and is buried in a plot in Ferncliff Cemetery owned by the British War Veterans of America.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Please could you create Arthur George Falconer, Scots Guards

Lord Arthur George Keith Falconer. 1879-1966
    He joined the Scots Guards in 1899. He was lieutenant, serving between 1900 and 1902 in the South African War. He was promoted to the rank of captain in 1914 and served in World War I.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Dr Ernest Kaye Le Fleming, RAMC, GP in Wimborne Minster

Dr Ernest Kaye Le Fleming, RAMC, GP in Wimborne Minster. Worked on BMC and later knighted. Brother of Lt.Col Larence J Le Fleming KIA 1918.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Create Life story for John Riordan

John Riordan is noted on the WW1 service record of his brother - Jeremiah Joseph Riordan - as next of kin and serving as a supdt stores Royal Engineers Mesopotamia. There is also a WO363 record for John Riordan , warrant officer Royal Engineers returning wounded to Bombay from Persian Gulf in July 2017 on ship Egypt. Both John and Jeremiah were born in India. I cant find a service record for John..

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Charles Launcelot Alfonso Stuart

From Shrewsbury School Register, Vol.1, 1798-1908: "Born 1893, Sergeant, 1st Bn. British West India Regiment, served in Egypt and Palestine, 1916-19." He survived the war, married and had children. He was the brother of Cyril Adolphus Stuart who is already listed.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Dr Herbert Edward Littledale

Please add to LOTFWW, Dr Herbert Edward Littledale MD born 1873, Commandant 1914-1915 and MO 1915- 1918 of VAD Hospital Charing Kent, Manton House Hospital Charing MO 1915-, Evidenced by Charing Parish Church Magazine (numerous entries e.g. Nov 1914 Charing now entertaining 10 wounded Belgian allies. Hospital in full swing. Nurses have certificates. Gifts and loans of bedding, bedding, clothes, chairs and equipment, plus food. Officially recognised and placed under strict military rule. Commandant and MO, Dr Littledale) and Kent Express Newspaper (various entries e.g. 4 Sept 1915 Charing Hospital. Dr Littledale finding being commandant and medical officer too much.…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5 422 423

Suggested Life Stories

Feedback and Knowledge Base