Do you have a question or comment about the site?

add to communities

Is it possible to add to communities you don't own? Would like to add grandfather and great uncle's life story to Manchester regt

26 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

17 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Yvonne Fenter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I still feel it best for community managers to retain control of who is in their communities - but would love to see some easy way for general users to be able to nominate a person to be added to a community, with the community manager being automatically informed.

• Bryan Pready commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This should be a priority. It's essential to enable groups of contributors to work together on large communities.

• Emma Heslewood commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You could also have a button to nominate/suggest someone to add to an existing community which would allow relatives/researchers to make suggestions.

Or just being able to email the community manager! This has been repeated in the other improvement ideas and comments already. We are having to build a new page on our main project website to give information on our community and give contact details.

I think it would be good to be able to add another user to help administrate a community. However, what if they leave? Does the remaining administrator have power to add remove what they have added or see a log of what they have added or removed.

Tricky one.

• Yvonne Fenter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like to retain control of who is and isn't in the communities that I've set up, but I also want people to be able to contact me easily with proposed additions or corrections (which is why I've put an email address in the header for all my communities), and I'd also like to be able to nominate specific other users as co-managers of specific communities.

• Trevor Penfold commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes I agree with Anonymous that the workaround is to put an email address within the Community profile. I have noticed some Communities are wanting help but do not give a way of making contact.

• Gerald&Fiona Wilson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Most of these problems would be resolved by making Community Managers contactable. One workaround to this is putting your email address into the profile of the Community you manage.

• Judith Parry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would think so, yes, re the choice of collaboration. Family Communities can be very personal, and I would think that if someone has set one up specifically for private research, it could cause them problems if someone else is able to make changes.

• AdminProject Team (Admin, Lives of the First World War) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

From reading the comments, it looks like if we were to implement a feature that allows Communities to be collaboratively worked on, you would want to be able to choose whether your Community was collaborative or not - for example, people with Communities set up for family, or for their own private research interests, wouldn't want anyone else to be able to edit them. Is that right?

• David Underdown commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ideally things like regimental and battalion communties would be automatically generated from the info in the site - you shouldn't have to manually group them together at all. I'd like to be able to have regiment/corps etc clickable and it would bring up a list of all those known to have served, it would probably need to be broken down by subunit of coruse to be manageable.

• Judith Parry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are all using Communities for different reasons. I personally have several Communities. Some are family specific and people do not need to be able to have the ability to add to these. Indeed, I would not want anybody to be able to alter them. Others, however, are for particular Brigades or Batteries and it would be great to be able to allow other users to access these and add some of the people that I have not been able to. There is a problem with deletions, though, as we do not want someone else to come in and delete someone from the Community that the owner is sure should be there.

• Trevor Penfold commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I understand that 'Lives' is working to improve the 'Community' feature and in particular to be able to share a 'Community'.

In the interim I have added an email address [alias] to my 'Communities' to enable interested folk to make contact with me and exchange information.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I, and no doubt many others, also have Manchester Regiment lives remembered, so it's frustrating when having spotted the Manchester Regiment community, we cannot add those lives to it.
        Otherwise the person who set up the community is going to have a full-time job!

• Heather Collins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Totally agree with the last comment and I think the team does have "adding a means to contact other users" as an improvement for the future.

• L Davies commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

it would be good to be able to contact the manager of a community to ask them to add someone. In my case the hampden park memorial, my relative George William J Parsons is on the memorial but not on the community page

• Heather Collins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's not possible and actually the point of a community is that it is managed by a specific person (or small group - there has been a suggestion to allow more than one to manage). Personally if I had paid for this privilege I would not want others to add to my community - I'd rather do it myself.

To the OP - I'm sure they will get added. The community owner probably has a lot of soldiers to add!

• Les Fraser commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The whole power of a Community facility is to allow different people to contribute to a specific Community other wise it is simply a personal grouping.

Feedback and Knowledge Base