Do you have a question or comment about the site?

Ability to sort alphabetically on surname members of a Community

Please could the ability be given to sort the members of a Community in Surname order. This will assist where members are not added in strict alphabetical order.

81 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Trevor Penfold shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

18 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • John Bailey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have asked IWM this very question and been told that Find My Past will conside. Perhaps FMP will tell us what the problem is and when will they solve it.Come on FMP let`s have some action.

• Dewi Howell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When will this update be in place? It really is difficult to manage communities with the current system.

• Jo Costin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please. I have a community of over 650 men at the moment and will only get larger (a whole battalion - I reckon there might be up to 4,000!) so the ability to sort by surname would be fantastic. Also the ability to sort/filter based on rank or on date of birth or death. And, perhaps, to sort those which have the fewest facts to those with the most, so it's obvious where more work is needed.

• Anni Berman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be really helpful, and it is something which has been raised a number of times now. My communities are quite small, but I really feel for people managing big communities, because I have enough trouble with finding people in my small communities!

• Linda Hutton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I find I am having to search for my men by name and service number again, I have 457 men in Communities ranging from one or two men (work in progress) to 163 (my Cudworth men). An alphabetical sort in Communities and on the dashboard page would be very useful. Although the ability to pop a chap to the top of the Dashboard list by unremembering and remembering him again is handy when you are working on a particular man for a few days.

• P J Tipton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Although my large communities appear to sort alphabetically the sort is not entirely rigorous. Navy, RAF, and Indian Army are on low number pages, whatever their name, and A starts on the highest number page for Army regiments which are named. As Trevor Penfold says, large communities are very difficult to manage, particularly if you start by finding say 100 seeding documents and later go back to connect the evidence. It would be better if the whole community were strictly alphabetical and the finding method was not page numbers, but the alphabet. If this will take take to organise pls give us a strict alphabetical sort ASAP

• Eddie Morgan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can I ask again for any news on this? I have now more than 80 pages to go through if I want to add links to Gazette entries, school rolls of honour, etc. It's too daunting a task to consider at the moment the way the Community is structured.

• Ros Haywood commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My comment (added only minutes ago) has vanished! Is this a bug?
        Anyway, what I said was that I would ask for names sorted in Surname, Given Name order. After all, I am running the MURCH One-Name Study, so to have only a surname search would be pretty pointless for me.

Any progress with this? I am sure people would like to sort their communities in different ways depending on the source material. The ideal for me constructing a community for a battalion would be to be able to construct the community to exactly match the battalion roll of 8 Companies which went to France on 5th November 1914. It would make it much easier to manage, and to add additional details from the War Diary and other sources

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

actually a number of sorts as well as the ability to filter records within communities would be useful - a sort by last name is at minimum what is needed. :)

Absolutely essential when the number of individuals in the community increases to several pages.
        Having added information from mostly one source (Battalion History), I'm somewhat daunted at adding additional information from CWGC, NA Unit Diaries, etc.

• P J Tipton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please! If you are connecting people to a community then you have to remember which page they were on everytime you want to add something. Alphabetical sorting would make guessing the page much easier

Feedback and Knowledge Base