Do you have a question or comment about the site?

Order of names on Dashboard

Please can we have the option of rearranging the order of names on the Dashboard? At the moment they appear in the order that they are entered (most recent at the top) but I'd like my closest relatives, who I entered first, to be at the beginning of the list. For people with lots of names, it would be good to be able to sort by surname and first names, or to group them by corps or regiment.

41 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Bryan Pready shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Bryan Pready commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have found a way of doing this.

If you select one of the people on your "remembered" list and open their details you will see a box under their name with the word "remembered". Clicking on this will change it to "remember" and then, if you click again, it will change back to "remembered".

Since this person has now become the last person you've remembered, their name will move to the top of your list. So, with a little bit of planning, you can sort the names into the order you want.

Not an ideal solution, but it does work.

• Steve Clifford commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree that there needs to be some way of managing your dashboard. I have over 30 individuals remembered at the moment and it has already become rather unwieldy.

One option might be to allow users to tag individuals and group / sort them by these user-defined tags.

Another option is to provide a simple list option that does not include photos, the objective being to list as many names as possible on a page. If I'm updating my individuals I just want quick and easy access to them.

• DavidWorsfold commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I fully support the idea of being able to re-arrange the names on the dashboard so that my closest relatives (my Great Grandfather) is at the top and others (e.g my Grandmothers fiance who died in 1917) at the bottom.

• AdminProject Team (Admin, Lives of the First World War) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi anonymous - just to reassure you, your Remembered Life Stories won't drop off your Dashboard after a certain amount of time. That's where you'll always be able to access them. 'Recently Remembered' is because, as the original poster highlighted, the Life Stories at the top of the list are the ones most recently Remembered.

As for the original suggestion, this is a useful idea and one we'll come back to in future.

• Alathea Anderssohn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed. I'm also wondering whether all the life stories I'm remembering will remain accessible from the dashboard or whether some of hem will disappear after a while if I don't update them? At present the text on the dashboard says "Here are the Life Stories you've recently remembered," which suggests that there is a time limit for how long these will continue to be displayed. If so, how easy will it be to return to them without having to go through the hassle of searching all names on the site? (When I started "remembering" my grandfather I hadn't realised how much information I would find about his old comrades from the local newspaper, so now I have started remembering them as well, which is giving me a lot more Life Stories than I'd expected to have.)

• Eddie Morgan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think this would be very helpful. Once you have several names it is important to have some way of managing them, and I would certainly like to have my relatives clearly distinguished from other individuals who were in their battalion or regiment.

Feedback and Knowledge Base