Do you have a question or comment about the site?

Communities

Surely those people who do a lot of research and contribute massively to the IWM records (I myself have posted hundreds of additions) should have free access to Communities.
I have much more research I would like to add but I cannot afford to pay for multiple sites - I'm already a member of Ancestry and Find My Past.

1 vote
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    archieneeds shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jonathan Shepherd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Working on the Life Stories and Communities here has certainly been more economical and realistic for me than attempting research with a University - I would like to continue research in a small way with the Imperial War Museums and I have had an interest in the Holocaust/Shoah with Tel Aviv University and Yad Vashem - I've got a certificate!

• archieneeds commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi AnnG, Thanks for your comment. The most recent project I've worked on is with the Winsford Parish Council on Exmoor, Somerset and we have identified the 11 villagers who fell in WW1. I've found them all on IWM and they are on my dashboard as remembered (along with other records for family members etc). I would like to group them together in a Community so that people can see them and hopefully add to their live stories. Is this how a Community is supposed to work and are you able to help me with this? Many thanks, Archie.

• AnnG commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As an IWM volunteer and prolific community creator, one big advantage Lives offers me that no other does is the ability to collaborate with others, merging my research with that added to the site by others. The Battle of Jutland, sinking of HMS Hampshire, Gotha raids, the Naval Memorials and Army Chaplains are examples of this but perhaps the best examples are the Civil Service Rifles and Halifax Explosion work, or the Silvertown Explosion. We work collaboratively together, some with subscriptions but many without. And unlike Ancestry, I don't have to keep my research in a private tree to protect it from being copied without being acknowledged. Happy to work with you to add to Lives, if you would like me to.

• archieneeds commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There's no benefit to me doing research and posting info onto your site. I'm just helping you guys out and helping to remember our soldiers. Much of the work I've done has been with local groups and villages and as such we have already published much of this on other websites. I was just seeking a way to share our research with you guys!

• AdminLives of the First World War team (Admin, Lives of the First World War) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello, thank you for your feedback. Communities require a subscription because this is an additional element of the site, which allows you create a personalised area of Lives of the First World War. By paying £6 per month or £50 per year you can set up and manage as many Communities as you wish - if you compare this to the cost of setting up your own website this is very good value. Communities continue to be visible to everyone even after a subscription has lapsed, and form a key part of our permanent digital memorial. Thanks and Best Wishes, Charlotte

Feedback and Knowledge Base